• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How NOT To Add Compost To An Existing Tank!

jagillham

So I've made an error it would seem!

Taken my plants out, scooped the sand, and added the aquatic compost. I can see why this should be done dry now! ;)

Will it ever settled? I cannot even remove the fish at this stage for a dry start as the water is pitch black so I'll never find them.

Any words of wisdom?

20151121_220013_zpsyqdfop2e.jpg

I'm almost full, and visibility is about zero still, lol. Getting late, so will get the sump going again and see what the score is in the morning!

How big is the tank?

Sorry dimensions. Can't get a feel for it from the pics

It's a struggle to get the scale on the pictures. The Blyxa Japonica for example is up quite a steep slope, but looks flat in the photos.

Tank is 122cm long x 51cm deep x 65cm high. A lot bigger than the photos make it seem!

Yeah it surely is bigger than it looks!

How about a bit more interest (wood, hidey holes, shadow etc) for the fish esp. those denisoni barbs. You'll be rewarded with more interesting behaviour and colours I promise :D

I'm hoping some of the larger plants at the back will end up providing some cover over some of the tank as they splay out.

Still not 100% happy with the layout. I'm missing something!

Some huge gnarled wood from back right towards front left nut ending 3/4 of the way across. You could get something really special in that size tank. Tall, deep and complex mmmm

Have a look for sanj's rainbow tank.....entire tree stumps come to mind :)

If you can't find what you want, make it. Very few of the scapes you see here and in comps use wood 'as is'. They are complex structures made up of many pieces to suit the space. If they waited for the perfect piece the tank would never be finished :confused:

Some cable tie and then plant Java fern etc to hide the ties. Some use glues etc or stainless screws or bolts. Some just pile it up. The options are endless and don't have to be spendy at all

I have a stack of wood in my pond at the allotment just waiting to be used. I have more wood than tanks allow for :D

Back