• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Morning, all!

diirrtydubcakeZ

Seedling
Hey everyone,

For now my name is diirrtydubcakeZ and i'll be frequenting here very often!
I've been wanting a fish tank for several years, and the perfect opportunity just came up - I bought a 54Ltr tank, complete with heater/filter/light and stand from a friend for £40!

I've kept reptiles for a few years - I have a monster terrarium housing 5 red-eyed tree frogs, all live-planted.
So I cannot wait to get into Aquascaping!

I have a basic tank setup - I don't know if it will be enough? I have an FRF-585 tank, with an 11W compact fluorescent. It has a 3-stage filter, bio-rings, carbon sponge, and some black plastic balls...My friend said I can make a DIY Co2 injector to keep the plants healthy - what do you all think?

Can't wait to meet you all!

Hi and Welcome to the forum. All sounds fine, I'm not sure about the lighting but it sounds like it might be adequate.
There isn't really any need for CO2, in fact it might be a good idea to cut your aquascaping teeth the low-energy way.
Check out the Tutorials section for more information on setting up a low-energy tank and much much more besides.

Thanks for the kind welcome!
What I am thinking of doing is completely removing the lid section and placing a Overtank strip light - I noticed Arcadia do a freshwater 600mm light which looks like it will be good.
I don't need CO2?? Okay...
I'll head over to the tutorial section tonight and check it out, thank you!

It is really best to start your first tank as low tech, meaning; low light (10-50 PAR) and no CO2...yes CO2 will make your plants grow faster (with addition of high light) but it also makes small mistakes bigger and faster growing out of hand.
Start low tech and learn how to grow aquatic plants first....low tech doesn't mean it can't be a awesome tank, there are many super tanks scaped with low tech plants.

Great reply :) thanks Martin! I was looking at getting the Arcadia Classic LED stretch (the cheaper one) as that looks to provide a good amount of light, and a canister filter externally. For a 54 litre tank that light should be more than enough? (I don't think my 11w compact is good enough) I just assumed I'd need co2 :D

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do you guys think removing the lid and plastic hood from the tank could mess with the structural integrity of the tank? I think the big black lid and hood is unsightly and ideally want to remove it..

Back