• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fusion

Don't want to talk too soon, but I think with plenty of manual cleaning of algae and a slight reduction in light intensity I might just be getting on top of things on the algae front.

I've managed to remove most of the algae from the Eleocharis and Echinodorus.
Grassy-Slope.jpg

The 'mountainous slopes' are beginning to look quite good.

Maturing.jpg

And here's today's full tank shot.

Full-Tank-Shot.jpg

What else is needed? Any suggestions on what I should do to improve it as it begins to take shape?

Thanks for looking,
Al.

Time for an update.... Still keeping the algae at bay and plants are looking healthy. Fish and shrimps doing well too.

Full-Shot.jpg

I’m now in two minds as to whether to keep the left hand side fairly free and open to create a sense of space or add more plants and height on this side simply because I can’t resist more plants! Although, keeping it open does allow this view from a different angle.
Different-angle.jpg

More photos here: http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2015/aquascape-additions/

What do you reckon? More plants or more patience to let the Eleocharis and Echinodorus fill out and cover the substrate better?

Al.

Hey justal,
Tank is looking great. I have had a look at what you said about the LHS of the tank, i think it looks nice open as it is. Have you thought about moving the Alternanthera further over to the left back corner for better perspective.
Jim

The rummy nose tetras will look lovely with the colours of your tank, look forward to seeing the new additions
Jim

Decided to go with a shoal of 12 Golden (Beckford's) Pencilfish in the end - just to be a little different. They shoal just as well as Rummy Nosed Tetras and I love the way they just hang seemingly motionless in the water.

I'll try to get some photos later in the week once they've settled in properly... I couldn't resist buying a few little plants whilst at Aquajardin as well!

Al.

Time for a 2016 update.
The Sodastream CO2 cylinder ran out of juice over the Christmas - that's about 4 months of use from it which I think is pretty good going I think and at £10 a refill from Argos that should work out at £30 a year which is doable. Otherwise, things are looking good. Here's the latest shot. Sorry about the poor quality but it should give you the gist of it.

http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2016/aquascape-update/

What do you think - it's beginning to come together now. I could do with a better 'lawn' in the foreground but that is so far proving difficult. Otherwise things are doing well and it requires minimum maintenance. Just feeding and the occasional small water change and a little bit of trimming here and there. Suggestion and constructive criticisms always welcome.

Al.

Aquascape.jpg

I like the overall look. Your pogostemon helferi looks very good and healthy, and that's not very easy plant for me - so you must be doing something right.
Some ideas for foreground lawn: using marsilea or any flat moss (java moss, christmas moss) - maybe? Unfortunately those options mean - dark green color, and that could be mismatch of your current gamma in the tank.
I'd probaly try monte-carlo for carpet - if I had CO2 injection. Or just good old hydrocotyle tripartita (sp. japan) - it's very easy to grow.

Don't want to jinx it but the Pogostemon helferi does seem to be doing well. Although, saying that it doesn't seem to grow much it just stays the same all the time. If it continues in that way then that's fine for me as it means very little maintenance required, no trimming etc. and it has to be better than it just melting away. The moss at the RHS grows like mad and does need a bit of trimming now and then which then just means that there are lots of bits of moss all over the tank and these seems to take hold anywhere, so most of my time is spent weeding these out wherever I can... Is there an easy way to trim moss without it going everywhere?

The Anubius seems to grow well too - slowly of course but that's to be expected from Anubius. I'm quite pleased with the Nymphoides in the LH back corner now as well as I think it balances out the overall look well but still leaves plenty of free swimming space in the tank too. As for the foreground then maybe a moss would do the trick, but as you say it might be a little too dark. The Eleocharis and Echinodorus are still hanging in there but don't seem to be doing much. I'm beginning to think that maybe overall energy levels (light and CO2) are actually quite low as it's the Anubius, Moss and Nymphoides that seem to be doing well. Maybe an increase in light and CO2 levels would help, but I'm a little reluctant to start fiddling with that as:

1. I seem to have a good balance at the moment with not too much algal growth.
2. Most plants seem to be surviving even if some are not 'thriving'.
3. Growth is relatively slow which is fine by me as I don't want to be trimming plants everyday.
4. The plants with lower energy requirements seem to be growing well.
5. The fish seem more than happy with the way things are at the moment.

Although reluctant to increase energy levels if the consensus is that doing so would improve the health of the plants, especially the foreground Eleocharis and Echinodorus without upsetting the plants that are currently doing well, I would be tempted. The question is, is it worth the risk of causing an imbalance now that things seem quite settled? Also, I don't currently add any fertiliser, plant food or supplements of any sort - if I increased the energy levels I might need to start supplementing with nutrients as well which would be just one more thing to get wrong!

Maybe I would be better off looking for foreground plants with lower energy level requirements - after all I can't provide suitable conditions for all plants if some have different requirements to other... or can I?

Al.

I like your slow & low energy approach, at least it looks quite good for me now, judging by photo.

...Maybe I would be better off looking for foreground plants with lower energy level requirements...​

I think marsilea or tripartita will work good in this category.

Also, I don't currently add any fertiliser, plant food or supplements of any sort
I'd begin adding low amounts of a commercial fertilizer such as Tropica - I'd begin with 1 pump/day of the Tropica Premium, adding 1 pump of the Specialized on alternate days; for the first couple of weeks, you can not add the Premium on days when you add Specialized .. I suspect you'll start to see more growth ... it may be photo/monitor effect but some of the plants seem more yellow/less robust leaf structure which is usually an indication of something missing.

If you observe significant increase in growth, then you may need to also increase CO2 (as you mention).

I second Alexander on the 'Monte Carlo' - it can do very well in slow growth systems

Tank is looking great :)

George Farmer has a video
Trimming moss with the mess

Back