• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua Soil... What is the damage to the environment?

Jink82

I was wondering if anybody knows, if and if so how much damage does our nice hobby causes to the environment?

When I put these different kinds of Aqua Soil in my aquarium i've always got this picture in my head of big trucks who are digging up whole rainforests. Just to let me enjoy my little eco system.

I'm really hoping that it is made out of compost (recycled material)... Can someone shed a light on this for me please?

I'm not even talking about the fish food, the amount of electricity and the harvesting of plants etc.

Last edited:
I suppose it is a biggish mine and they have concessions and all the needed licenses to extract from natural source. I don't think it is recycled. It is baked clay/soil mixture. Since most of the soils are coming from Japan, I believe they are all well regulated. The same as brick clay yield etc.

They dig up natural soil and then bake and sift them. It was mentioned that Amazonia comes from Japan, not sure where the other types come from. Amano himself mentioned before that he may have to stop selling Amazonia one day because its a natural non-renewable resource.

Back