• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pygmy Cory infected.

Found a nice read on Praziquantel.. :)
http://www.vnua.edu.vn:85/tc_khktnn/Upload\2102014-tc so 5 11.pdf

Seems to be effective fore a number of flukes and parasites, depending on the mg/l dose, duration of treatment and type of parasite. Trichodina was indeed the most resistant and needed the highest dose and longest treatment but finaly was killed off by it.

Also i still wonder why other well known producers do recomend other not so safe medications for parasites which are easily killed of by a known and positively tested safe product. Rather very strange.. Stocks and shares?

Also this report states that Dr. Bayer delutes Praziquantel in Ethanol (Tadaa!) hence the bacterial bloom i experienced.. Anyway i guess its that, because i've red so often people putting vodka in the aquarium for some reasons and experiencing a bacto bloom as well. So don't buy German produced Liquid Praziquantel. they buy it from German Dr. Bayer of course and so you get the Ethanol stuff. :)

Yes it is indeed the same one.. Now that's stupid! Most have overlooked it in all the hassle.. Sorry bout that..
The pale one is still as pale as a ghost, both eyes are of a strange color. 1 eye is darker greyish then before the other one has a a red glow in it's iris. There is changing someting that's obvious. He seems to fluctuate his color, one day he's almost completely white and the other day his black stripe comes back and the day after that it can be gone again. But he behaives normal, like the rest.. Although yesterday i saw him scratch a little again against a stone.. But that's just that one time for a 30 seconds and went on his way again. He still must be irritated sometimes by somewhat. Possibly the wounds are itchy and hopfully healing. Actualy i didn't gave him that long, but hes hanging in there..

This is the last week in the fluke solve treatment.. And indeed after that i'm gone a filter a while on carbon to get it out, see how it goes and got the kanacime ready if needed..

:) Good Murning! Yes! In fact (word play) They are doing good. All 7 still there even the three i gave up hope for seem to be back in the game. I see no more flashing, no more pinched fins, no more side swimming, the blueish shine is gone and more active scholing together, more interacting and feeding very good. Even the pale one is slowly recovering his color and is the most active of them all. Like he needs to food the most to gather strenght. That's lovely to see. :) I was doing lots of cleaning and water changes lately and i stopped that now for the last 4 days. So i guess its also the peace and quite now doing them better. In such a small tank doing lots of wc is always an impact with that big ugly monster taking allmost all the water out with a big dangerous sucking hose. The Prazi treat will end next wensday, then i do a WC and a carbon treat for a few days. And see how it goes, the blurry eyes are still there a bit but showing some more coloration than before. I'll give them a week more rest and a close eye to see if i do a Kanamycime treat after that.

Thanks for asking.. :)

:) No man! Don't think that, you were a great help.. Showing interest is never demanding, not in my world anyways. ;) Thank you for doing so.. :) Never mind the poeple who make you think or feel that way, it says more about them than it says about you. And indeed in this case no news is good news.. All 7 cory's still doing great as all others do as well. So the infection didn't jump and looks gone. The fluke solve did the job. Fortunately and finaly me and my sciccors can focus on the algae boom now. And that's what's going on right now in my tank. The 3 cory's with the blury eye(s) still got my attention, they slowly getting some color back in there. Also the pale one seems to be slowely flourishing to good health again. I'll post you a picture of him/her tomorow. :) They are on a good healthy daily diet of Blood wurm, white mosquito larvae, daphnia and artemia and seem to like it very much and feeding well. So i don't think (hope) there is a bacterial issue and the Kana isn't necessary, but if so, i got it. Thanks to you, my friend!

I think we did it and those little fellows can go and live a happy life now. I have high hopes, but still don't want to party to soon. :)

Here it is :)

And realy improving, slowly getting color back and even his eyes are slowly returning. I can see a tiny dot now i guess it's the iris.. What i love about this little fellow, his favorite spot is where this vid is shot almost all day long. The most active off all, when the others are gathering, hiding and resting in the back, this one doesnt mind he keeps on foraging on his own till the other return to keep him company. I think he needs it and is doing what his body is telling him to do, eat and get strong. I hope it keeps going like that. You never know, since a saw one looking more healthy freak out and die in less than an hour time..

It's almost day 10 after the Prazi treatment.. And here is another hd video of my little problem child. Munching his bloodworm..

I think it is stone blind, it doesn't mind me at all.. Actualy it's alway alone others visit him once in a while, but doesn't happen other way around.
The others which still are able to see i don't get that close up to with the camera. They move when i come to close to the glass.
Healthy eyes look different, the damaged eyes of this one and the 2 others having it in 1 eye look like sucked empty. Healthy fish eyes bulge out a bit, and this looks totaly flat. Maybe it;s pale because it's blind.

Further i only see improvments in behaivor and putting on weight, no sign of infection what so ever. I guess if there was a simultanious bacterial infection with the Trichodina it would have shown by now.

Yup when i feed bloodwurms, which the cory's like the most i drop a few around this one so he doesn't have to search to much and far, and it works all the time. This wurm he devoured in less than 3 minutes. But he seems to find his way around.. He only doesn't find his mates, so he's alone most of the time. Stays on the bottom and gulps once in a while. Doesn't interact with his suroundings like the others do. But he seems to be a little surviver and holding on.. :)

10 more days further on, after the treatment and all is still fine, all 7 cory's surviving the ordeal whit that sucker all do great. Little pale Cave Cory lost both eyes for ever i guess. He must be thinking why i'm in this dark hole all the time? And this seems to take away his color. But it's behavior is only improving, it's active, eats whatever i serve on his dinner plate, and is putting on weight. When it feels like swimming it cruises around the tank like nothing is wrong. Never bumbs into things it's lateral line senses everything perfectly. The only thing i kinda feel sorry for is that sometimes the others want to interact, like when 3 others of them together visit him like they are saying "Common swim and play with us" it just doesn't realy notice and goes his own way. Also the once that lost one eye didn't got it back, so a Trichodina definitively sucks them out and can make tiny fish like that definitively blind.

1 more reason to watch your tiny nano critters even more closely.

Anyway!! I would like for my 7 little Cory to sing togheter in chorus

"Thanks again uncle Science Fiction for all the good advice and helping us survive! We did it!!"

Last edited:
This a a very informative thread.
Thanks for sharing.

That Fluke Solve stuff is realy OK!! All Cory's still roaming the tank as healthy as can be. Even little blind and pale cave cory is around.. :)

Back