• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red midground, foreground plants

thamshaw

Seedling
Looking to add a bit of red, any suggestions for red plants, not too vigorous, for foreground to midground

Reineckii Mini

Example below in one of Pedro's beautiful scapes. Hope you don't mind me using your picture here Pedro!
gg-day219-0-jpg.29311.jpg

Close up:
gg-day219-5-jpg.29316.jpg

The one in front of the rocks left and right :)

Last edited:
Alternanthera 'mini' would be my favourite (same as above).
Ludwigia glandulosa will "do the job" too. A deeper, more beat-red colour and a bit faster growing. Not difficult to trim, though.
Ludwigia palustris can be trimmed to stay low - but this include a lot of trimming!!!
Alternanthera 'rosaenervig' has a more compact growth and more "rich rosepink colour" than standard.

Not to drag off topic but since Mick mentioned Rosanervig.. How would you go about keeping it low? I have it in my tank and it's grown about 25-30cm tall! The stem is super thick as well. Beautiful plant though.

I would do what I allways do, to keep plants low...........trim !!!
Sorry, I know this sound rude, but it's really not intended.

No, that's fantastic Mick. I haven't trimmed it to be honest.. I will tonight :)

Be sure to re-plant the off-cuts, or pass'em on. They're easy to root........can't get too much of "free plants".....;)
No, that's fantastic Mick. I haven't trimmed it to be honest.. I will tonight :)

Thanks, how often do you trim,and do you always replant the tips

Trimming is dependant on growing rate, which is again dependant on environment in the tank.
- so it is not possible to give specifics......other than : "when needed", and that will not guide you much, I suppose ;)
I re-plant cuttings, to get the group of plants more dense, or to widen the group.

Back