• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

flygja's 120cm Kaizen

Hey Iain. I haven't been able to find Akadama soil here. Most bonsai I've seen are planted with normal soil. I could cover the aquasoil with gravel, but that would mean I won't be able to use the gravel anymore if I decided to rescape since it will all be mixed.

Conundrum!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Been thinking about Iain's suggestion and its sounding better and better. Take out the rocks, sweep the aquasoil to the back and top with gravel.

Those are beautiful. I can't decide whether no CO2 or minimal CO2 injection will be better.
depends what your after.... since making all my tanks low energy due to time constraints i really enjoy them all more. My 4ft runs with just one bubble a second so still 'high tech' but low energy as the lights are very low. This just helps with algae and stability, i only water change every 3-4 weeks and all is well. There is middle ground between high tech headaches and slow tech patience :)
You could of course go for liquid carbon only for a middle ground also..

Reactions: tim
Iain... I'm gonna be aiming for the middle-ground as much as possible. Liquid carbon will end up being a bit too expensive for a 300L tank I think. I only have access to Seachem Excel and other branded gluta.

Last night I tried my hand at making some food for my discus. The squeamish and vegans might want to look away...

23871154776_b2e341852b_o.jpg

1 pork heart
2 medium-sized prawns
5 tablets of JBL algae wafers
1 clove of garlic

Into ice cube trays to freeze.
23897263625_e1a6a67a26_o.jpg

Tried one block last night, discus totally ignored it. Other fish also ignored it. Had to suck out most of it after 10 mins or so. That garlic clove I put in was *strong*. Would it affect if fish would take it?

I can't offer a definitive answer I'm afraid, but when I was reading your list of ingredients the garlic did stand out as odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: weirdly just read another post and people regularly feed fish garlic. And even chilli. Who knew! (I didn't)

Green veg etc yes, but I'd not heard of garlic etc. So I have no idea if that was the problem.

Perhaps try each ingredient individually next time to see what they go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi chrism. I subscribe to the digital edition of Tropical Fish Hobbyist and one of the columnists is Jack Watley who is a famous discus breeder in the US. He feeds garlic to all his discus as an anti-bacterial agent. Supposedly reduces the possibility of gut parasites. I just followed his recommendations.

I'm currently mixing half a block of pork heart mix with frozen bloodworms to see if the discus will get used to them and take them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4 hours of work condensed into 1 min 45 seconds :D Youtube is still processing higher resolution versions of the video.

I moved the 2-4 year old Aquasoil so it becomes the bottom later, added some Osmocote pellets and then topped with 3-5mm river gravel. Plant selection and position has not been finalised yet. I still have floating bunches of Anubias barteri var nana and will probably load it up with more crypts.

Timelapse was created by the SJCAM SJ4000 action camera. It has a built-in video timelapse feature which takes pictures at 1, 2 or 5 second intervals and then processes them into a video. Not the best picture quality, but I wasn't about to do it manually on my PC.

Hello,
What Osmocote pellets are you using?

Here In Portugal we have these:

EVERRIS (SCOTTS) Osmocote Pro 8-9 Months 16+11+10+2MgO+Micro
It includes NPK, o Magnesium and all oligoelements and micro elementes needed.

12 euros 3 kg

mx116t.jpg

Thanks for the comments Nelson.

Hello,
What Osmocote pellets are you using?

Here In Portugal we have these:

EVERRIS (SCOTTS) Osmocote Pro 8-9 Months 16+11+10+2MgO+Micro
It includes NPK, o Magnesium and all oligoelements and micro elementes needed.

12 euros 3 kg

mx116t.jpg
Paulo, I'm using this one - http://www.scottsbrands.com/smg/goprod/osmocote-outdoor-indoor-plant-food/prod70362. I couldn't get the Plus version when I bought it, so its just the normal version without the traces.

Osmocote-Outdoor-Indoor-Smart-Release-Plant-Food-std.jpg

Back