• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Centrepiece plant suggestions...?

JAX3000

Hi,

I need a plant for the centre of my tank.

I will be removing the Echinodorus Bleheri (otherwise known as "salad" by my Bristlenoses...!!!) from the rear and replacing it with Hygrophila Polysperma at the left rear and Cryptocoryne Usteriana and Cryptocoryne Aponogetifolia at the right rear.

I tried an Echinodorus Magdalensis at the centre, but it took a kicking off those pesky Bristlenoses too, so I need something to fill that centre spot. I think something that stands out, that reaches up to about 25 - 30cm would look nice... (The whole tank is about 60cm tall) It could be pretty wide too I guess, but is MUST be easy!

I am injecting Co2, but not too much, as I don't think the fish like it, nothing has ever really done well in this tank! Even Java Moss struggles...! Also, at this part of the tank I don't think the flow is amazing and I'm reducing the lighting as um getting algae on leaf edges... so for these reasons, plus the fact that I'm not very good at this, it must be easy amd not Bristlenose food...! ;)

So, what do you think I could put in here?

See attached photo. I mean just behind the Ram, left of dead centre...

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas :)
uploadfromtaptalk1450022642461.png

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Some of the big crypts are lovely. Maybe undulates kasselman?

Thanks. Both look like great suggestions.

I like the Lagenandra meeboldii 'red' for the centre, as it looks different to anything else and I think that's cool and now I'm thinking maybe I'll put an undulates kasselman in the front right corner, where I currently have a Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown. The Wendtii has been there nearly 3 months and I'm not happy with the height. I think the undulates kasselman will do a better job of filling that space (beneath the "dog's chin") and I could put the Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown from that corner to the right of the Lagenandra meeboldii 'red' in the middle there...?

I'm going to completely replace the background plants and I'm working on a solution to the moss on top of the wood, so it no longer looks like a pile of logs!

I think this would work... Am I on the right track...?

I have echinodorus "Indian Red" that bristlenose do not seem to like much, maybe due to crinkled shape of leaves?
It does not get too tall, and has nice red color even under moderate light.
Glad to see your moss looking better.
Have tried echinodorus "Rose" along with "Rubin" and the approx. six bristlenose I am keeping while trying to sex a female,decimated both.

Maybe Crinum or Barclaya red etc?
I particularly like the look of Barclaya Red. Although it may be a bit too tall, I could just remove the big leaves and it'll send up new ones no? This is a strong contender, but will it actually be red...?

The Crinum looks like something I plan to use in the background to compliment some tall Crypts of a similar appearance...

I have echinodorus "Indian Red" that bristlenose do not seem to like much, maybe due to crinkled shape of leaves?
It does not get too tall, and has nice red color even under moderate light.
Glad to see your moss looking better.
Have tried echinodorus "Rose" along with "Rubin" and the approx. six bristlenose I am keeping while trying to sex a female,decimated both.
To be honest, anything with Echinodorus in the name worries me... My BNs have produced a few offspringin the past and are likely to do so again and it's those little ones that seem to do allot of damage, as they have a ferocious appetite!

And sadly, the moss has kind of withered and turned a darker shade of dead, which I now put down to my over zealous liquid carbon dosing which I was doing to prevent another outbreak of hair algae...! Anyway, I have now stopped with the LC and pulled off most of the moss in the hope that it miraculously bursts back into life before I have time to start again. If not, I'll start again...! :) I'm a man with a plan! :)

Back