• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jakes's New Aquascape in the making

What Backgroun colour should I go for

• Black

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Same and the walls...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave it clear... but look at pipes and cables

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks fantastic
- especially like that you've chosen one of my favorite plants, Cardamine lyrata :D
(be sure to watch the Tropica "plant handling" video)
What's planted behind the C lyrata?

Do you have a plant list - they look to have arrived in very nice shape :)

If you add in a clear plastic barrier (any food grade plastic will do) between the soil & sand, it will help limit mixing

So what exactly do I have in there?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450283173.972284.jpg

My pictorial representation ;)

A) Hemianthus callitrichoides (Baby Tears) (Green dots)
B) Hydrocotyle triparita (Pink dots)
C) Pogostemon erectus (Orange dots)
D) Pogostemon helferi
E) Ceratophyllum demersum Red
F) Bolbitus heudelotii
G) Echinodorus rubra

I was in two minds what to have as a focal point until i saw a nice scape with a large single plant as the focal point. I decided to use the E.rurbra because it has a nice leaf structure and also have a red/green leaf lifespan, young leaves are reddish and older ones are Green.

Currently I am dosing CO2 at 1 bubble per sec running through a Colombo in tank diffuser.

This morning my drop checker was greenish and my pH was reading 6.5/7ish on the scale. My KH is about 8 and GH 8ish.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450286526.425433.jpg

Im dosing the tank with Fluval Cycle to give it a little shove while keeping a eye on NO2 and 3.

Im also using Neutro+ for nutrients for the plants and my lights (2x T5's with reflectors) are on for 8hrs initially with CO2 starting and stopping a hour before.

I know some peeps like a definitive break between the sand and the grow media and I did put in a devider but removed it because it looked to 'clinical' i like the 'messy' border and hopefully that will get overgrown soon-ish :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450284976.826139.jpg

So that's day 2, ill update weekly or next significant event :)

Questions, comments, criticism (constructive ) and advise always welcome

Jakes

Last edited:
Looks fantastic
- especially like that you've chosen one of my favorite plants, Cardamine lyrata :D
(be sure to watch the Tropica "plant handling" video)
What's planted behind the C lyrata?

Alto,

Thanks for the comments, what looks like C.lyrata is in fact H.triparita, they look very similar actually but H.triparita will be a fore/mid-ground plant. Once it settles i will be training it flatter allowing the Pogostemon erectus behind it to fill the back with bushy goodness.

Regards
Jakes

Excellent synopsis!
& great tank diagram with plant details, it should be a fun tank to watch (I admire Iwagumi with only a couple plant species, but cant imagine actually having one :oops: )

Drop Checker colours

This morning:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450338149.753091.jpg

Last night:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450338174.484163.jpg

I tried ti get the two taken from the same spot with the same lights on and to my eye the morning one is darker... It is easier to see in person I promise

Jakes

Great looking tank!

I like the DC pictures as I am currently trying to sort out my Co2 (first planted tank).
Using a JBL diffuser but yours seems to be putting out finer bubbles.

Great looking tank!

I like the DC pictures as I am currently trying to sort out my Co2 (first planted tank).
Using a JBL diffuser but yours seems to be putting out finer bubbles.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it ;)

Yea i must admit I was a little dubious about this diffuser but three days in it settled in nicely. Initially there was a 'leakage' of larger bubbles where the ceramic and rubber seal met, you and just about see it in the other video. That issue however has resolved itself.
I also like the integrated bubble counter it gives me an instant guide as to what is going on CO2 dosing rate wise.
The bubbles are super fine and they are intercepted by the flow from the spray bar so 1/3 of the tank is bubble central!

I just have to deal with the surface 'scum', you can see where the spray bar agitates the surface where it breaks and the reflection of the two T5's.

Im hoping to get a surface skimmer but unfortunately the one I want isn't in stock at the moment at CO2Art.

Or I might just get the Eheim powerhead driven one and only use it when required, still in two minds.

Regards
Jakes

7 day update!!

Tank has been running nicely for a week now and there is some good and some bad as can be expected so ill take you through the plans as they progress:

H.callitrichoides
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450799866.678573.jpg

I expected them to melt right away but turns out they are doing quite well!!

H.triparita
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450799933.410592.jpg

Proudly sitting at the back, nit as fast growing but there are loads of new leaves forming and root growth from the stems, I'm going to leave them for a week then i will prune them/ replant them lower.

P.erectus
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800051.093979.jpg

I got these in a gell growing medium, the tropica 1-2-Grow stuff, they atent doing to well some are melting but there are signs that they may recover, i am keeping a close eye on them though!

P.helferi
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800164.565778.jpg

These bad boys are getting there, slow growing but they are looking well, imho

C.demersum
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800255.237546.jpg

The bushy goodness in the back :) they seem to have settled nicely and are slowly but surely sending out new shoots, i had to trim the tips already as they were reaching for the top and i want em to go more bushy.

B.heudelotii
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800370.213754.jpg

These two are doing well slowly settling in, two leaves melted but there are a few new ones poling out already so lets see how it does long term!

E.rubra
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800481.089679.jpg

I love this one, it has sent out 7 new leaves, and looks so healthy, i love having it as my 'focus' plant :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800790.067850.jpg

I am 20minutes into my 2hour acclimatisation of my Amano shrimp, they will be the first critters into the tank, i haven't seen much algae growth yet but I'm sure it is there somewhere:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800940.846019.jpg

I will also be replacing my in tank diffuser with a in line atomiser, people have good things to say about them, so lets see what all the hype is about

So here we have it, as always comments, advise, questions and criticism (constructive ones) always welcome.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450800687.824929.jpg

Happy Christmas to everyone and your families!

Jakes

CO2 Atomizer Installed and shrimps doing their thing!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450820461.723369.jpg

Well the little wonder has been installed and I must say I am impressed so far, we will see how it goes on over time and I will keep you updated. I had to reduce the CO2 flow slightly because it looked like a soda stream solution due to all the micro bubbles, dosing about 1 per 1.5 ish seconds and getting very fine bubbles but not as much as when I was using the flow I was sending through my Colombo diffuser.
I left the colombo diffuser in the tank for now just in vase I decide to go back.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450820666.710749.jpg

The shrimps are doing their thing! With their scurrying about they ate kicking loads of detritus up, though I'm sure that will settle over time, interesting little critters!!

Regards
Jakes

Last edited:
14 Day Update

The aquarium has been running nicely now, i have added some Ammano Shrimps and Three Dwarf Otto (Otocinclus affinis) to deal with the algea that is starting to show. I have also reduced the lighting to 7 hours instead of 8. The algae isn't bad but thought id make small changes before it gets untenable. So to the plants:

H.callitrichoides

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451505239.980071.jpg

These guys are slowly getting there some pearling can be seen here and there, they took a battering by the Amano shimps, anything that was held on by a tether went flying. Some leaves are turning yellow here and there but there are plenty new growth and runners are starting to... Well run

H.triparita

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451505424.860625.jpg

They are looking great, they have completely taken over the back and shading the P.erectus that have been planted amongst them. I may have to relocate them.

P.erectus

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451505542.670029.jpg

So the ones I planted along the sides and I was worries about them, there was some serious melting happening but they seem to have recovered with new growth coming through. As said previously the ones along the back will have to be relocated because they aren't getting any light. I just don't have anywhere to put them!!

P.helferi

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451505789.324942.jpg

These are a ragged bunch, as fast as new leaves are forming old ones are dying... I don't know what to do to help them along, advice would be appreciated.

C.demersum

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451505904.019531.jpg

The bushy goodness is just that, a constant grower, i need to gut it back constantly else it will take over the whole aquarium!! Haha

B.heudelotii

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506025.561802.jpg

Some new growths are appearing but it isn't in a hurry at all.

E.rubra

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506147.070011.jpg

11 new leaves in total with great colours ranging from deep red to green, I absolutely adore this plant.

Some shots of the critters:

Otocinclus affinis

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506226.626384.jpg

Three of theses little algae eating machines

Cardina multidentata (Amano Shrimp)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506278.148901.jpg

I got 9 of these, one ended up in my external filter, didn't seem to bothered about that experience and counting them is next to impossible!!

I feed these guys one algae wafer every two days and they seem to be alright with that, there is enough algae in the tank and leaves that they munch on and I have had a few moults. So assuming all is ok.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506627.346920.jpg

Two moults that appeared just today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451507028.111214.jpg

My Nitrates are still a but too high for my liking so am doing a 30L water change every two or so days. Nitirites are 0. My pH is 6.5 out of the tap but bizarrely my drop checker is blue the whole time, i now check my pH with two test kits, i think the reason for that is because i have a 'surface scum' issue I'm battling with which I think is creating a barrier between the air in the drop checker and the tank water. No great shakes, though I am thinking of investing in a electronic pH tester... Basically laziness

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451506699.201777.jpg

Anyway I hope you like the update.

Day 26

Well there has been some changes.

I had to remove the C.demersum because as fast as they were growing they were loosing leave just as fast and it was messing the tank up no end!

In its place i got these beauties:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452551586.365858.jpg

Names escape me now but ill edit the post with the correct names!!

Also the B.heudelotii just went down rapidly!! I removed then from the tank and i replanted the P.erectus which have been overwhelmed by the H.triparita in its place with two of the new plants :

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452551807.016540.jpg

They have stopped melting and seem to have settled in now, new growth is showing and they are starting yo look good!

The H.triarita had to be trimmed and looks great it is all GROW!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452552031.068489.jpg

The H.callitrichoides are growing steadily their leaves however has gone tiny but they are sending out runners and they are linking up in places.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452552150.195730.jpg

E.rubra keeps on making leaves had to remove some of the older ones but it is looking great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452552240.569791.jpg

Fauna wise I have added a shoal of Cardinal Tetras and a shoal if 'Glowlight' Danios. Absolute nightmare to try and capture on a photo but Ill keep on trying!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452552432.252934.jpg

Last edited:
Day 26

Well there has been some changes.

I had to remove the C.demersum because as fast as they were growing they were loosing leave just as fast and it was messing the tank up no end!

C.demersum really just wants to float at the surface. I've found that if I try and plant it in the substrate, it just bolts to the surface in a couple of days and, as you've seen, rapidly sheds its lower leaves. It also never roots and as a result continually breaks free and floats off anyway.

Nice plant though!

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hi Jakes,I like the tank and the journal style.

Enjoyed reading the journal and going through the pictures - a history is stills of the tank!

Well it's been just over a month now and I am having a great time with the scape, the plants are making me wonder sometimes and some are thriving and others are well so so!

Ludwigia palustris 'green'

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233795.182250.jpg

These guys are doing great they shot up 10-15cm in 7 days, I've trimmed the tips of some of them as they reached the surface but still need to trim some which have broken through the surface. Unfortunately the aquarium is covered else I would have let them be!

P.erectus

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233809.812689.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233824.446988.jpg

They seem to be doing ok but I have a concern, you may notice the second picture which shows all their crowns darkening... I am keeping an eye on it. All I have done was reduce the photo period by one hour, I'll see what happens and keep you updated.

H.triarita

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233843.899170.jpg

They just keep on growing, I'll have to trim them again soon. They are pearling beautifully and you can see micro oxygen bubbles rise up from them.

H.callitrichoides

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233866.000788.jpg

They are slowly covering the bottom of the aquarium. Interestingly the ones on the right hand side of the tank are stronger growing than the left hand side. I'll have to look at my light distribution I think.

E.rubra

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233886.268909.jpg

It has created one massive leaf, the photo is a little dark but I hope you can see it. It's colour is a nice deep burgundy on the newer leaves and the older ones are a deep green/brownish colour. I love this plant!

P.helferi

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233926.189422.jpg

I think they have started to put some good growth in, they are starting to look good and their colour has been getting a deeper green compared to when I just planted them.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233946.190650.jpg

My mosses have gotten a good foothold as well and is starting to grow nicely!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233969.526911.jpg

My Amano shrimps are doing a great job of keeping the algae at bay and melting every few days.

The inhabitants currently consist for:
Paracheirodon axelrodi - Cardinal tetras x18
Danio choprai - Glowlight danio x12
Melanotaenia praecox - Dwarf Rainbow x12
Otocinclus affinity - Dwarf Oto catfish x5
Cardinals multidentata - Amano shrimp x8
Crossocheilus oblongus - Siamese algae eater x1 funny thing is this guy decided to adopt the Oto cats as his friends, spends all his time with them, however he doesn't have the sucker mouth to stick to the glass so he has to swim a lot !!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453236507.936423.jpg

I also got a Eheim surface skimmer to deal with the surface scum and can't recommend it enough it works great!!

I also went back to the in tank diffuser the inline one was just to much and made the tank look like Sprite, I also got the flow sorted to 'push' he bubbles down hopefully the video works :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453233984.910694.jpg

That's it for now

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long delay in updating my blog. Life just caught up, now Im catching up

I had to go away for a few days which resulted in the tank not getting the TLC it deserves and also I came home to fund a outbreak of White Spot, luckily I caught it in time and it is now gone

L.palustris 'green'

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456086776.940504.jpg

I have to trim these guys very regularly they grow like mad and unfortunately my tank is covered as they will regularly break surface!

P.erectus

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456086881.759546.jpg

They are going from strength to strength. They have some hair algae that is a result of the Ammano shrimps being removed to treat the white-spot but the shrimps are back and the algae is going slowly.

H.triparita

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087015.070133.jpg

Just recovering from a massive trim i had to do they were almost to the top of the tank, took a week or so to look better and are happily bubbling away in the background again. Their runners will go everywhere if you aren't careful!

H.callitrichoides

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087299.394429.jpg

They are carpeting nicely, seen here being 'tended' to by a Ammano shrimp.

E.rubra

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087416.304409.jpg

This plant is still my favourite the colours of the leaves are just amazing!

P.helferi

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087496.908512.jpg

These bad boys took a few shots with the raised temps to treat the white-spot but they have bounced back and looking no worse for the wear!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087592.935322.jpg

The mosses are amazing this bunch is the exact same spot as the mosses I pictured the last time I did an update... Not to shabby!

And now for some pictures of the inhabitants... Is they hold still for 2secnds!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087776.884494.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087806.002072.jpg

I gave up after these, they are just to active!

All in all I am very happy with the setup, i can sit for ages in front of the tank and just watch the plants and the fish do their thing!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456088002.669253.jpg

My favourite view side on from my couch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456087885.409268.jpg

So today in one of my many sitting and staring in the tank sessions I noticed this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457988674.256760.jpg

Wasn't to sure and waited it out and she eventually came closer to the glass:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457988728.526347.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457988742.963266.jpg

Her swimmers are chocker with eggs... Damn un planned pregnancies... No idea what to do now anyone have any advice. I was thinking of just leaving her and let nature take its course... There does seem to be ALLOT of eggs!

Also duty picture of tank yes the H.triarita needs a serious trim!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457989107.973465.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So today in one of my many sitting and staring in the tank sessions I noticed this:

Wasn't to sure and waited it out and she eventually came closer to the glass.

Her swimmers are chocker with eggs... Damn un planned pregnancies... No idea what to do now anyone have any advice. I was thinking of just leaving her and let nature take its course... There does seem to be ALLOT of eggs!

Also duty picture of tank yes the H.triarita needs a serious trim!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raising amanos has been done - but not often. The young are very small and need to spend the first 3 to 4 weeks of their lives in saltwater.

I can dig out some links if you're interested.

Cheers
Mark

Back