• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drop checker readings with mist or 100% dissolved co2

Manu

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to share my thoughts and get your opinion and experience on the following:
Can the co2 mist created by an in line atomiser influence the colour of the drop checker?
The reason for this question is that I recently swapped the atomiser for a reactor and although I get a 0.9 ph drop, the drop checkers in the tank don't get to the lime green I used to see with the atomiser. It's too early to observe how the plants are doing but I just wonder if when having 100% dissolved co2, maybe the drop checker is much slower to react compared to using an atomiser. With the atomiser, it seems possible that a lot of bubbles get stuck in the drop checker, giving then a false reading of co2 rate...
I know the best is to look at the plants, they don't lie :)

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, I did some research but I could not really find an answer.

Cheers,
Manu

I had the same experience as you; I was using an in-tank atomiser making a mist of bubbles which gave me a yellow drop checker, but when I moved the atomiser to the canister filter intake (canister filter is the reactor), my drop checker was green but plant growth exploded :)

I think the CO2 mist from the atomiser gets caught in the drop checker air space and gives an optimistic reading.

Hmm but I think if you're testing the pH drop of tank water then other dissolved solids in tank water might affect the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but there irrelevant take a sample of tank water and allow it to stand until all the co2 has de-gassed and take your reading once you have done this you will have a reference point and then you can aim for a 1 point ph drop from this figure.

In my experience drop checkers are pants the delay in the colour change makes it impossible to tell if have your co2 at optimum levels at lights on, however if you use both then you can get a much better idea of how much co2 you have in your tank and if it is at the right levels at the right time.

Back