• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filamentous Diatoms

Jaap

Hello

Is this algae filamentous diatoms and if yes how are they formed and how do I deal with it?

e1cbb4648fb8b9a83eb00e62b861fefa.jpg
79d8b0519227969722477d296f689661.jpg

Thanks

Hi and thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I dont think we have the same problem with the op of the above thread. Or maybe I am missing something?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looks like pretty normal brown diatoms to me. As far as brown diatoms goes you have a pretty bad case (assuming it's like that all over the tank).

But the solution is always the same: wait it out. Or if your tank is ready for fish add some ottos or perhaps SAE.

In the meantime manually remove with a toothbrush. a cheap supermarket electric toothbrush is useful.

Well its been 6 weeks that the tank is running now. I have the co2 blasting in the tank and I wouldn't want to put any fish or shrimp like that but also I am a bit scared to lower co2. I have to do something though...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have to do something though...
Add the shrimp & otos - reduce the CO2 for their introduction, eg, add livestock after lights out, then run lower CO2 levels for a few days, then gradually increase CO2 again

Depending what's available (sorry don't recall tank size), add a mix of shrimps - Amano, Cherry, Tiger, Red Nose - always add 10-12 of each shrimp type (they really do prefer "shoals")
& 3-6 otos :)

Back