• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How can I Improve more (500lts planted)

That's the reason my drawing will work
The power head will increase the flow rate what a bigger filter would do
Increasing the spray bar and from the power head will increasec circulation
That's what the objective is for now
As 2217 holds the sme media capacity as an bigger filter wud do

made the spay bar now in function but when submerged in water flow is less above the water flow is much good
running it with a 2800lph power head but still getting less flow
a question spray bar should be above water level or below

The object of a spar bar is to push the water just under the surface so the flow goes down the front, along the bottom and back up underneath the spaybar.
So you get a circular motion in side the whole tank..... yes just under the surface faceing straight towards the front

but why the flow is so less .....even after 2800 lph power head used
its 4 feet long spray bar with 1 1/2 inch distance holes

If you tried to join up your pumps then that is the reason as that system will work against each other rather than make more flow.
Also spray bars have to be made carefully with the right size & number of holes.
The best results will come from using a single pump about 10 x flow compared to your tank volume = 5000 lph

but I am just using the single power head with it ..............for the external canister i am using a lily pipe .....do lily pipe give flow in 5 feet tanks ......as seen in ADA videos they use lily pipes for such tanks

how about adding a couple of wave makes n forget about the spray bar
adding them at the back and facing towards the front glass to create a circular motion

All 5000 lph pumps are submersible ......then only option is to shift to Fluval fx6

You have a large tank, it will need lots of C02 & flow, there may be other options but a basic formula that works is .... two T5s the length of the tank on for 6-7 hours a day. 10 x the tank volume flow rate. Full length spray bar, in line anatomiser , full EI fertiliser & a one point PH drop.
I am sure there are lots of other formulas that work too or you could even try a low tech with no added C02!

I am sure there are lots of other formulas that work too or you could even try a low tech with no added C02!
That'd be my preferred approach with a tank that size as well, especially using soil and if it's got a good surface area to volume ratio.

With the stuff you have now, I'd just keep the spraybar at the current location, open-ended. The place the powerhead next to it on the left side glass, pointing in the same direction as the open end of the spray bar. So the flow goes from left to right, back to front.

P_20151221_201341(1).jpg

currently this is what i am getting with the spray bar

With the equipment you have now I suggest you ditch the spray bars as you do not have enough pump power to make thar method work properly at the moment. You can have good success by setting your filter outflow and powerhead so that the flow is circular from end to end by placing tthe outputs at diagonally opposite corners. Spray bars and mega flow is not the only successful method.

Have a look at this thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/is-this-hobby-losing-the-plot.37845/

currently this is what i am getting with the spray bar
Way way too little flow. It needs to be along the lines of this, even this is really too little, 1400l/hr as opposed to recommended 1800l/hr for this tank. It really needs to be hitting the front of the tank, when out of the water.

I realized that as I did not see any flow ....so I put the spray bar a little ahead now and little better flow planing for a sump now then going for a filter was going for Fluval fx6 but I think sump with a 3500lph pump would do fine for me......Thank you all with all the advice plants are doing good new leafs growing tank looking much greener

co2 8 bps / light 6 hours
2 t5ho life spectrum + 1 t5ho power spectrum running now for 6 hours daily
dosing EI method started but seeing green spot algae just from today onward

only the flow issue is the problem removing the spray bar and going back to the power head flow method till the time I get the sump in place by next month or so after new year :angelic:

right now facing this problem
24wu2o3.jpg

11jve44.jpg

Last edited:
I will make it my self ...............co2 is not an issue got a 6 kg cylinder I had made sump before also ... one for my marine tank ..... will drill the tank ....just wanted to know that a 2 inch hole will be enough on the tank or should I make two .....overflow unit is also an good option

sump will anyways be cheaper than going for a canister filter

EI dosing is 6 days a week in which one day is rest so we also rest the co2 in this? or the co2 is on for all 7 days ?

some people do it for 5 days and 2 days rest ....is it ?

thanks Chris ........if not a sump what filter should I go for .....but my side its sump in coming

Back