• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wombat's Scape

Wombat

As threatened previously in my introduction post here is a pic of my current 2 week old scape. Please bear in mind I am pretty new to "aquascaping" so please go easy on me!

Tank: Juwel Vision 180
Lights: 2 x 35w T5HO
(front bulb "Day", blocked off completely by a reflector turned 180 degrees. Rear bulb "Nature" -no reflector)
Filtration: JBL Crystal Profi e1501 via spraybar (extended to full length of tank)
Co2 Kit: 2-stage regulator/solenoid kit (Sodastream) & in-line atomiser (outlet side)
Powerhead: Hydor Koralia 1600
Substrate: Powersand, Aquasoil, Aquasoil powder, La Plata sand, Penac P, Penc W & Tourmaline BC

Rock: Seiryu Stone

Plants:
Eleocharis Sp Mini
Monte Carlo
Rotala Wallichi

EI fertilizers (started after the first week)
Lights currently on for 6 hours per day, Co2 runs from 1 hour before lights on & switches off 1 hour before lights out.

Scape4.JPG

(Photo was taken before Co2 was switched on)

The only stem plants staying will be the Rotala Wallichi -the other 2 which are just there temporarily to soak up excess nutrients will be removed and replaced with more Eleocharis Sp Mini once the tank has matured a bit more.

The only inhabitants so far are a handful of Amano Shrimps. Later I plan to add some Otos (about to move house very soon so holding off the addition of more livestock for now). Still undecided on what sort of fish to add -will probably just go for Neon or maybe Ember Tetras.

So far all going well. The Monte Carlo has settled in quickly and the Eleocharis is just starting to send out runners. The Rotala Wallichi is, I believe, changing from it's emersed shape at the moment (it certainly looks different from the last time I grew it but there's also enough similarities so far so I'm confident it's the same plant.

Amazingly there has been no signs of any algae (yet).

By the way, it's a complete accident how the sand ended up in the centre of the tank. It was originally offset to one side but it kinda shifted a bit when I swapped the substrate supports which separated the sand from the soil for a more substantial piece of perspex. This is the only bit (so far) I wish I could change.

I was going for a cross between an iwugami and a slice of Scottish moorlands. Time will tell how closely it resembles either...when I get the hang of this new camera and when the scape grows out a bit more I will try to add some better photos.

Can you tell me the names of the carpet plants you have at the front and mid sections of your tank.
Don't know the full name off the top of my head but the stuff right at the front is also called Monte Carlo. It's very similar to HC but apparently easier to grow and won't lift so easily because it's roots are a bit longer. The grass behind this is Eleocharis Sp. Mini. It's apparently a bit harder to grow than the more common Eleocharis Parvula but it doesn't need trimming so often because it doesn't grow as high.

I like the drop checker, ive never seen that one before.
It's a Colombo Flora-Grow CO2 Indicator. I got it from Maidenhead Aquatics a couple of years ago. Cost £11.99. Looks pretty ugly to me - been meaning to get a more trendy-looking all-glass one.

Back