• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant load and CO2 saturation question from a newbie

Sudipto

I have recently set up my 54 litre (2 feet by 1 by 1) aquarium with pressurised CO2. Initially for a few days my plant load inside the tank wasn't too high but I would nevertheless leave the CO2 on with lights for the Java fern and an anubias and some freshly planted Cuba. There would be considerable CO2 bubbles floating on the surface of the water and very little pearling, if any.

I had assumed that the CO2 was not getting properly mixed in the water. I use a ceramic diffuser and position it under the spray bar.

Ever since adding more plants like HM and some crypts in the tank, the free floating bubbles on top has become a thing of the past, though everything else remains the same - bubbling rate of 2 bps and no change in diffuser position relative to the spray bar (I use an external canister filter).

Can someone please explain the science behind this to me? Does plant load have a bearing on CO2 saturation? I presume because of more plants in the system, the CO2 is now getting properly consumed and not floating on top. Is that a correct assumption?

Can someone please explain the science behind this to me? Does plant load have a bearing on CO2 saturation? I presume because of more plants in the system, the CO2 is now getting properly consumed and not floating on top. Is that a correct assumption?

No. Maybe you had a bit of surface scum before that would trap bubbles at the surface. This can be very thin and sometimes invisible. Maybe adding more plants helped with the health of the tank and the surface film went away. Maybe it was just a water change and your tank maturing. Can be many things but plants don't have an effect on the solubility or saturation of the co2. Big plant beds can have an effect on co2 concentration but only on dissolved co2 concentrations i.e. not the co2 bubbles you see. For this you have to have very fast photosynthesis and you probably wont notice a thing.

Thanks Jose for your explanation. I was quite intrigued by what I saw. Your explanation makes sense.

Back