• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydor external.

Derek113

Does anyone have any trouble with hydor extrrnal heaters?

Mines keeps leaking because the plastic bolt fits over the filter hose (is it because its ribbed).

Pretty sure it needs a smooth rubber hose to seal properly

I've had one for several years and never had any leaks. I have smooth hose as well.
If you do have leaks, it may be because the hose wall is too thin, so wrapping the end in plumbers tape / PTFE might help. This worked for me with an external power head with similar fittings.

Are these reliable these days? Would love to ditch the ugly heater for one of these but I've heard horror stories about them malfunctioning. Maybe it was just a bad batch...

Are these reliable these days? Would love to ditch the ugly heater for one of these but I've heard horror stories about them malfunctioning. Maybe it was just a bad batch...

It says in the manual that the temps can fluctuate. No longer confident about using it. It was 21st in PFK rating.

Im selling my 300W hydor inline heater if your interested?

I bought a fluval 200W heater that looks great (slimline) yesterday.

I think it's luck of the draw with these a bit, some peoples (mine for instance) work flawlessly, others have had a lot of problems. There are plenty of easy to follow tutorials on youtube of how to build you own inline heater using an old internal one on the cheap.

Back