• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Agressive dwarf neon praecox rainbowfish

Halley

Hi, i have 3 male praecox and 6 female in a planted 180litre tank. There are 10 hengeli rasboras, 7 neon and 4 cardinal tetras, 4 ottos and 2 guppies. The problem is that the male rainbows seem to be constantly chasing each other and the other fish. I got more females thinking it might help but it hasnt. The interesting thing is that it only happens when the lights are out. When the lights come on things settle down. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had them about 4 weeks. I think one or two of the males are causing all the trouble. Once the lights come on they are very passive. My males chase both sexes and charge into other fish.

Actually its more like 3 weeks since i got them

and charge into other fish.
I've seen this behavior as well (I removed the praecox as it didn't change over some months, I didn't have a great tank for them as they really do better in 120cm - 180cm tanks) ... it may be more of an issue with smaller groups, especially the fewer males, you might try adding in 3 more males ...

Maybe also post over on a specialized rainbow fish forum

Thanks for the advice. Just one question - why do you think adding more males will solve the problem? I thought adding females would calm them down?

Multiple males may keep busy amongst themselves ... this works with some fish, no idea if your praecox will play properly

Cheers i may give it a try - if that doesnt work then its goodbye rainbows

Back