• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne melt and Cyperus browning tips

Ben C

Morning all,

I re-scaped my tank three weeks ago and planted one pot of Tropica S. Repens. It gradually yellowed and melted. The stems have now completely disintegrated and the only thing left is the roots.
The tips of my C. helferi have also started to brown as well.

Oddly, Blyxz japonica, Christmas moss and MC are doing ok. The fastest growing plant in my tank is current Anubia nana petite!

I'm reasonably confident this is not a CO2 or distribution issue as the DC is nicely lime-green, but the Staurogyne was in the path of a Hydor koralia, meaning it was receiving good CO2.

A few details about my tank:

81l, with 24W T5 light.
EI dosing.
Injected CO2 via inline Up! Atomiser and SodaStream canister.
Lights on for 6 hrs per day.

Any ideas at all. I used to be able to grow S repent (I used to sell it on here and eBay), so I know it grows in the hard Oxfordshire water.

I'm really stumped as to what it could be.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Ben

I'll go with probably the number one cause of melt of new plants. Too much light, new plants need time to adapt, raise the light or block some of the light with foil rings, reduce photo period down to 4 hours. Once it's rooted and there's plent of new growth then you can increase the light slowly over time.

Thanks for this. Will buy some more and reduce the light on them. How about the browning tips on the CH? Any ideas on that? thanks

Back