• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis Runners Above Soil Level

Wombat

My Eleocharis sp mini is now beginning to send out runners (all previous attempts failed so I'm dead excited) but they are mostly above the soil surface. Is this because I didn't plant the portions deep enough originally? I keep pushing the runners down into the soil - should I just leave them alone instead and see what happens? I was tempted to push the plants themselves deeper into the soil but I'm scared I might stop the growth altogether if I do so I've managed to resist.

Sorry if this has been answered already elsewhere, I'm on my phone at the moment and searching is a bit difficult.

Mine does the same. I plan to see how it does and probably top it up with some inert gravel. Eager to know what the professionals say!

Surely all 3 of us wouldn't have planted too shallow? It must be how it first grows maybe?

Certainly not a problem when growing it in emersed culture... :)

What soil are you using? Maybe there is enough nutrients in the water column?

I sometimes have the same problem but I think once it starts growing runners in the soil then it stays there....I cut the runners that grow outside the soil and replant them...

What soil are you using? Maybe there is enough nutrients in the water column?

I have power sand, aqua soil & aqua soil powder on top. I am also fertilising with EI. I'm beginning to suspect my pesky shrimps might be unearthing some of the runners.

You have to give time to the plant,finally all the runners they ll get in to the soil ,I m talking from my own experience with almost all types of eleocharis. If you plant it too deep it gets yellow and melts.I hope my English is understandable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is quite common with some runners of Eleoch. 'mini' above substrate, especially just after planting. In time most of them will run just below. Personally, I wait for good growth, and then cut away (or gently bury) the above ones.
Out of curiosity, I have in-planted Eleoch. 'mini' in cracks of bogwood and rock, high above substrate.......if ferts in water are sufficient, they happily grow and spread this way. Tendency of runners growing downwards, though.
Hope this answer the questions..........

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I need to just leave it alone and stop fretting about it. As it happens I've spotted a couple of stray leaves today poking out of the soil in a couple of different parts of the tank so there must be some better behaved runners around after all :)

Edit: Never heard of growing hair grass above the substrate in rock or wood. That does sound interesting...

Back