• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led lighting for a 5 x 2 x 2 tank with low light plants

Ajm200

Hi,

A few years ago I had some great advice from this forum when I was setting up my tank. I'm hoping you'll be kind enough to help again

The tank is 5 x 2 x 2 planted with swords, anubias and crypts.
I use powdered ferts and easycarbo

It was running 4x54w t5s for 4 hours a day and just 2 for 2 hours at either end of the day as all 4 bulbs was too much

One of the T5 ballasts has died this week so it is now running on 2 x 54w t5 bulbs.

My husband has suggested upgrading LEDs to reduce running costs

He's suggesting interpet triple 4ft tubes but from what I've read the light may not reach the bottom of the tank. I'm looking at TMC Aqua beam 600's (possibly 3 across the length of the tank) would this be OK as a low light solution? The TMC tiles look good and might be in budget if I only need 2. The budget is tight as I've already had to buy an fx6 filter right before Christmas

The tank has a hood and it has to stay (I've been told) so I can't look at suspended options

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks

What tank hood / lighting system have you got? It should be fairly easy to replace the ballast. I replaced the one on my luminaire earlier this year, far cheaper than replacing it.

Look for the GroBEAM as they are the planted tank version (~6500 K "daylight")

I'd look to do 2 1500 Ultima tiles across the tank - this should give you decent front to back coverage & over the length of the tank
(except I'm imagining them suspended so no idea how they'd work with/inside a hood - cooling may be something to consider as heat + led may reduce life expectancy of drivers/leds etc ... check what is covered by the 5year guarantee: note that some companies do not consider led loss below 20% to be significant ie covered by warranty)

Check the Swap section for deals on slightly used LEDs

PS you're right about wanting/needing higher intensity LEDs given the height of the tank

It is a custom tank with a wooden hood.

I can replace the t5 ballast as we have the ballasts attached to the wall behind the cabinet. I'd look at the waterproof Arcadia units if I do continue with t5 lighting as I would have more placement options as the current setup is a bit of a stretch on an extra high cabinet and tank.

My husband wants to look at the reducing long term running costs and is factoring in the cost of the units, bulb replacements, electricity, etc. I'm not likely to replace this setup any time soon as it was originally a £2.5k project funded by a tax refund when I gave up work.

I doubt I can suspend the tiles as my husband is insisting that the hood must remain in the tank. There is only about so 6 inches between the glass covers and the hood. I'll take a look at the tiles you've suggested.

Thanks for your help

Hi all,
I can replace the t5 ballast as we have the ballasts attached to the wall behind the cabinet.
Have a look at "Geoffro1955" on Ebay. I've bought several electronic ballasts from him.

54W T5 ballasts are a pretty standard item in lots of commercial lighting etc. You should be able to get a "Tridonic" or similar make of ballast for £20.

He has got these at the moment: "TRIDONIC ATCO 2 x 54W HO T5 ELECTRONIC BALLAST LIGHTING CONTROLLER".

cheers Darrel

I doubt I can suspend the tiles
Brochure from TMC/Aquaray states that tiles can be hood mounted so given long term running costs, they are a decent investment (just save your receipts etc in case of the 5yr warranty - one of the longest available!)

I went with LED when I needed to purchase new lights last year (dying ballasts, dying fuses, dying starter, dying T5 tubes - I had 3 "backup" T5 units & each one failed within a week to a month of actually needing them :banghead: ), I was hesitant about the very different light effect (vs fluorescent tubes) - surprised myself as I really like them ... local shops stock a good range of LED light options, while T5 units are only older remaining stock or special orders.

Definitely considering the LED tiles as the remaining T5 controllers are 5 years old so I'm guessing will be at high risk of failing. I really like the led 'look' and I know my husband will love the lower electricity bills. The T5 controllers seem a cheap option shot-term but after 5 years of replacing 4ft long bulbs that I can only source online even the cost cheap bulbs plus shipping costs is a lot. 5 yr warranty I a plus point I wasn't aware of

Waiting for payday in the hopes of getting the money together. Think I'll need a controller too as I'm guessing I'll need to dim them quite a bit in my low light setup. Not keen on going back to high light/high tech atm as can't commit enough time while working/studying. Loved the look but not the work involved

Think I need to make a decision soon as now have a diatom outbreak in the tank. First time in years and I'm wondering if the change in light levels may be a contributing factor.

you've not really provided enough information for me to have a good grasp of your tank details (filter/flow, fish, temps etc) so I'm just putting thoughts out in the ether ;)

Floating plants are a good way to manage light levels - especially when you upgrade (increase) light, just scoop excess weekly but check on best way to destroy the removed plant mass (depending on your area) though if there is too much surface movement they can be slow to establish (or if fish constantly trim roots etc) - Darrel (above) has a good collection of floating plants I think :D

High fish load can go a good ways to supplying CO2 to plants - I suspect you still need to focus on plant species that are good at "scavenging" CO2 ... if you have low fish load & add liquid CO2, plants that are good at utilizing that form of C will tend to flourish (but then can be limited by other factors)

Often increasing water changes will help control various outbreaks - it's a big tank so hope you've a Python type system :)

Tank 5x2x2
Filters are an Aquamanta EFX 600 and FX6 and Fluval 405 (hot standby for a quarantine tank if necessary)
Substrate Manado (years old.). Supplemented with root tabs quarterly and due again soon.
Ferts powders made up to one of the DIY TPN recipes
Easycarbo - changed from gas about 12 months ago.
Declorinator: Prime or sometimes the Tetra pond one if I can't locate Prime locally

For further info.

The plants are
swords (regularly eaten by a catfish so not big as they are trimmed of damaged leaves weekly)
A variety of crypts
A variety of Anubias on wood

The fish are
10 angelfish (about 3.5 inches so not full grown)
Two rainbow fish (full grown)
3 kribensis
5 cories
10 neon tetra (the ones I and the angelfish can't catch.)
A bristle nose catfish (with a taste for sword plants)

Not a lot for a 500l tank
I can't see anything rotting in the tank and the fish are fed sparingly

Temp 26c

Water changes are done with a garden hose and fountain pump

Last edited:
Back