• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What’s behind Japan’s moss obsession?

https://theconversation.com/whats-behind-japans-moss-obsession-50500

To the Japanese, there’s a natural aspect to Wabi-sabi that’s considered beautiful. And moss is perhaps Wabi-sabi’s standard bearer: it grows seemingly at random, in asymmetrical patterns. The humblest of plants, it’s often trampled upon, overshadowed by its larger, looming neighbors.

Hi Nice Post

Wabi- Sabi It just like nature:cool::cool: The one odd thing :wacky: Will always have more character a rock a stone a piece of wood with moss on :photogenic::photogenic: Makes you look twice :wideyed:

Then the hard bit comes trying to recreate it :D

I do my best with Wabi-Kusa :arghh: But recreating Mother nature :crazy:She only had a billion years to get it right :cool:

One of my Wabi-Kusa inspired by Sabi ( Broken) And a rock W-K inspired by nature :)

0209_zpsc4058305.jpg

d8bcdf07-4f7f-4502-ae11-74036f824734_zpsod4gyb5x.jpg

moss, I love moss
You can use moss as an emersed form of Iwagumi

tumblr_neu8tjuDRY1s3c1oao1_1280.jpg

for example this pic: simonsaquascapeblog.com

I even saw a TV program on moss and guess what, it was filmed in Japan!

The question shouldn't be
What’s behind Japan’s moss obsession?
rather ...Why aren't we obsessed with moss?
Aren't we? I am! :)
I always keep moss setups, from nano vivarium to small wabi kusa, but always mosses being the central piece.
Now seriously, in my country (Spain) mosses are restricted to mountain areas or the north. It is not like in Japan where everything that is not disturbed can be covered in moss in a few months.

Jordi

I think part of the allure to me,,is the knowledge that the mosses tend to collect all manner of debri and to keep em nice looking, and debri free , is impressive.
At least to me it is.

A lot of the mystic of moss is the effect it can give to a aquascape looking at the top 15 in the IAPLC contest in which a trend of roots and submerged tree wood are there the effect of mosses gives them a stunning effect.How the judges separate them must be so difficult ,every one could be the winner

Beautiful pictures!

I have a love for moss also, so many kinds and looks to chose from!

My little moss obsession as it looks this morning

View attachment 79130

View attachment 79131

Just a moss and wood. Hard to understand for some guests... But I just love it

Jordi

I would love to know more about this! Where did you get the moss, substrate and regime ect....great achievement and very minimalist looking, I hope you're happy to share :)

Thanks

Beautiful pictures!

I have a love for moss also, so many kinds and looks to chose from!

I would love to know more about this! Where did you get the moss, substrate and regime ect....great achievement and very minimalist looking, I hope you're happy to share :)

Thanks
Hi nayr88

I just used old ADA AquaSoil, a piece of wood and some bits of mosses (plain Java and peacock moss, probably some more). I also added some floating bits of Monte Carlo and Eleocharis mini I found in my tanks. The trick is to keep it moist enough during the first stages (transition to emersed form) and this can be done IME by keeping the setup covered or by playing with the water level. In my case, as plants are very low I kept the water level a bit above the plants and progressively lowered it in 2-3 weeks. Light is also very important to avoid leggy growth (especially if you are using stem plants). You won't have problems with algae, so use as much as you can. This little bowl (diameter 14 cm) is under a 11w LED light I used for a 25 tank, maximum power at 15 cm and 12 hours/day. I use no ferts, just daily spraying with soft water (to avoid limescale, so for aesthetic reasons). When I go out for a few days I just put a plastic cube covering it, this is enough to keep the plants wet for 4-5 days. Of course you could use this cover permanently but it doesn't look so nice and the plants benefit from aeration.

Jordi

Back