• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosing

f1mark

I have got a EI starter kit from aquarium plant food I have made up the solution as per the instructions but I was just wondering if 10ml per 50ltr is for if you are using c02 as I'm not shoul I use a smaller dose

If you use the recommended dose, you won't have to worry about anything. If you decide to use less, you may see problems with your plants.

Hi all,
but I was just wondering if 10ml per 50ltr is for if you are using c02 as I'm not should I use a smaller dose
Yes, you can use less.

Light drives photosynthesis and the demand for nutrients, and usually carbon (C) is the limiting factor for the growth of aquatic plants, mainly because the atmosphere contains ~400ppm CO2, and tank water below ~4ppm.

If carbon availability is limiting plant growth having an excess of NO3-, K+ etc isn't going to make your plants grow any faster. Opinions will differ as to whether having an excess of nutrients is harmful, personally I'm in the "low nutrient" camp, although plenty of other members will tell you that it there is no downside to excess nutrients.

I like some floating, or emergent plants, because they aren't CO2 limited.

I'd probably start with <"1/3 dosing EI (3ml)">. You can always up this amount as your plant mass grows.

cheers Darrel

I use 1/4 ei dosage in my low tech 260 litre.

Any more than this just increases my ppm exponentially and is a waste.

Back