• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's the best way to ensure I get the full benefit of co2 to and around my tank

ray copeland

Hi all I have a co2 diffuser but it's not a matter of just putting in in the tank and turning it on surly or is it I want to know is there an art for my plants to get the co2 for example getting the bubbles around the hole tank on the plants or is it really just put it where it will look nice and turn it on thanks in advance Ray

Ok it dose appear to be changing but very slow at doing so so that's fine. The other thing is I'm told co2 will lower ph? So off the tap mine is high range 7.4 from tank it's on low rang of 6.4. Of course the dropper will tell you if it's too much etc it just worries me although there is c02 going in the tank weather the plants will be getting it sounds stupid I know but I have seen many diffusers with co2 going to the surface but how would u know the plants are getting it is it as long as its present in the tank the plants will get it? Sorry new to this

Ok, so the fact that it is slowly turning colour means that it is working but there isn't enough CO2 to make it go green, which does mean that you are not hitting the magic 30ppm (i think thats the value). This would mean you need to increase the CO2 going into the tank however i would position the drop checker in different places firstt as you could have it in a dead spot.

Yes CO2 injection does alter the PH, however it isn't doing it in a nasty way. By this i mean you don't need to worry so much about this. If it were your hardscape lowering the Ph or a chemical that is doing it then that is when you need to worry about it.

I'm sure someone will explain better about what i mean!

The plants will tell you. This CO2 injection is an art. If you read my Journal called Open Book you will see what i mean!

Last edited:
Ok, so the fact that it is slowly turning colour means that it is working but there isn't enoug CO2 to make it go green, which does mean that you are not hitting the magic 30ppm (i think thats the value). This would mean you need to increase the CO2 going into the tank. Do this slowly.

Yes CO2 injection does alter the PH, however it isn't doing it in a nasty way. By this i mean you don't need to worry so much about this. If it were your hardscape lowering the Ph or a chemical that is doing it then that is when you need to worry about it.

I'm sure someone will explain better about what i mean!
Oh this stuff I got it's orange in colour you use your fish tank water you add a few drops it Gos dark green you pop it in tank and it should go a ligh green to be good or yellow if to much

Well he says the solution you should use and not to use your tank water as there are elements within water that will affect the readings. You can buy the premix 4dkh for a few quid. That's the stuff you need.
Your flow needs to move the co2 around the tank in a nice circular motion. There will be more experienced on here that will go in more detail.
However, try to get flow so you can see the plants within moving/swaying. A lot of people place diffuser under the outflow so the water flow will carry the co2 around tank providing your flow is up to scratch. Honestly, Cegs article will explain all of this so I would echo his advise to me. Follow one way of doing it and stick to it. You won't go far wrong following Cegs advice. I ain't blowing hot air up his back end but he's helped me no end.

Well he says the solution you should use and not to use your tank water as there are elements within water that will affect the readings. You can buy the premix 4dkh for a few quid. That's the stuff you need.
Your flow needs to move the co2 around the tank in a nice circular motion. There will be more experienced on here that will go in more detail.
However, try to get flow so you can see the plants within moving/swaying. A lot of people place diffuser under the outflow so the water flow will carry the co2 around tank providing your flow is up to scratch. Honestly, Cegs article will explain all of this so I would echo his advise to me. Follow one way of doing it and stick to it. You won't go far wrong following Cegs advice. I ain't blowing hot air up his back end but he's helped me no end.
i read the info I have my flow at good rate yep plants flows moving co2 around tank in a circle and is under water flow it was the drop checker I brought I though would be that solution that's where I got confused this one said to add to use tank water and is a different colour but I will get some of that stuff yes only a few pounds Thanks so much for your help I will let you know how I get on. Also might change my co2 Atomizer might help too.

Update: i changed my diffuser to one that make a hell lot of tiny fine bubbles that now cover the hole tank the drop tester too 4dkh working fine all at good levels and much better thanks for all your help people.

Back