• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anything that won't eat echinodorus?

mort

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for algae eaters that don't eat echinodorus? I've found lots of info on what eats them but not really any other suggestions apart from shrimp which doesn't. I now they are like a salad bar to octocinclus, ancistris and the usual suspects but are there any species which are beneficial to a planted tank that won't or are unlikely to touch them?
I have some shrimps already and some ramshorn snails but there are some diatoms on the slower growing leaves and I expect more to clean up in the future.

TIA

I think I may have found the posts where the people were having problems. Another quick scan and like you Chris, a lot don't have a problem. Maybe it is just people killing their plants and looking for a suspect.
The swords I have actually don't have any visible algae. I think its as they grow so fast. The tank is still in the early stages and I think I have a few diatoms because of this but not enough for me to add anything to eat them yet. Its really only the buce that has any and they came in "dirty".

I wouldn't think about adding any otto's for months as there isn't enough to feed them but the supply around here of them is very poor. I know they have a poor reputation for shipping and settling but in my other tank which was well over a year I have had 6 and only one lived (which is a couple of years now) more than two week. ITs not a water chemistry problem, there is high oxygen content and there is enough food for it to have a pot belly all the time. So am unsure whether I actually want to risk trying these again. So any other suggestions would be good for a soft, slightly acidic tank with a temperature around 21-22c. It has high flow so was wondering if a hillstream loach might work?

Yes it's a strange hobby I've never had any issue with ottos being weak, no strike that lost one within a week but otherwise they seem tough long lived little guys. I guess there are many variations to be had though. Hopefully someone else can offer other suggestions...? I rate snails as a good clean up crew for sure...

I'm normally good with finicky fish, kept and bred seahorses, mandarins etc in the marine world but just didn't have any luck with otto's and I bought in 3 batches over a couple of months. I did speak to the lfs about it and he's a trusted chap I've known over 15 years, he did admit they lose a lot when they first came in.
I'm hoping when everything settles down that the shrimps and ramshorns will do the job without the need for help but still like to research just in case.

If they lost a lot at the fish shop, chances are the whole batch suffered ammonia poisoning in transit from the supplier. This can severely weaken the fish, potentially causing long-term health issues. This is most likely why you've had bad luck with Ottocinclus in the past.

What else do you have in your tank? There's a few options.

If they lost a lot at the fish shop, chances are the whole batch suffered ammonia poisoning in transit from the supplier. This can severely weaken the fish, potentially causing long-term health issues. This is most likely why you've had bad luck with Ottocinclus in the past.

What else do you have in your tank? There's a few options.

Fish wise I only have golden pencils and habrosus cories (thinking about glow light danios as the last fish), inverts are cherry shrimp and ramshorns. For plants it's an eclectic mix ranging from crypts, buce, staurogyne, hygrophila, ludwigia and bacopa. i'm not sure how it will develop just adding a few fast growers until it matures and seeing where to go from then.

It will hopefully be a cross between a Dutch style setup and a jungle tank. Tank dimensions 60x45x45 so not massive and wanting to keep a sense of scale.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Back