• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Under gravel

Sanqhar

Can under gravel filters be made to work in a tank with few fish and shrimps?

I'm thinking of different layers of the right substrates, a power head etc.

I like the unobtrusive nature of these filters.

I suppose I am talking extremely low tech. It needs to be a simple set up as SWMBO is a bit anti.

Tom

Why not :) they are very sufficient filters especialy for low tech tanks.. Only you're kinda limited in substrate choises not all are suitable for under grafel filter.
But if obstruction is you're only motive?? If you ask me, a nice clean piece of glasware on an external filter is less obstructive than a undergravel filter riser pipe and or in tank powerhead. :thumbup:

Why not just got for a soil substrate, and an airstone for circulation?
Heavy planting and weekly water changes pretty much removes any need for filtration.

Foxfish - thanks for the link.
Henry - changing water is one of the problem areas.
I suppose I am chasing a dream, low tech and low maintenance!

Tom

I suppose I am chasing a dream, low tech and low maintenance!
If that is the goal :) read in on a open biological sump filter, if you oversize it a bit and it needs very little cleaning.. I have one running since over a month now in volume it has little over 10% volume of the tank.. +/- 90 liter tank with 10 liter in the sump.. I was surpiced how clean it still was after a month. Only thing with a sump is, it only skims the surface, so heavier particals, to heavy to float sinck eventualy to the bottom. Where an closed canister filter woud suck a lot of this in, because the inlet is much lower..
If syphoning with water change isn't an option to vacuum the substrate you need an air driven vacuumer to clean larger debry off the bottom.

I've red topics from members stating doing very little water changes, so it's not impossible. I personaly have no experience with minimizing water changes. :thumbup:

Back