• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 120L Soil tank

Haha! Well I'm not the best at sexing shrimp but some are paler so it looks like a mix of males and females to me and at least one was berried so I have hope for shrimplets, if they don't get eaten!

The endlers have already settled in and are trying to mate with my male threadfin rainbows. Livebearers, huh? :rolleyes:

Six month update.

The new cherry shrimp are doing much better than the previous lot, all the adults have grown huge (or at least bigger than I expected cherry shrimp to be!) and there are at least three shrimplets courtesy of the female who was carrying eggs when she arrived. I've not seen any berried females in the tank since then so perhaps my conditions just aren't conducive to shrimp breeding.

I've got two pics, before and after maintenance. This first one was taken a day before maintenance when the tank hadn't been cleaned or touched for two weeks. It looks rather unruly but there's no algae and the water is still clear.

15_Dec_TwoWksSinceMaint_zpsl2rprbwp.jpg

The next pic was a couple of days later, after a water change. I didn't really do much maintenance except throw out half of the salvinia and remove the big C. wendtii that was dominating the centre of the tank.

18_Dec_1r_zpsz5f6ix7p.jpg

Goodness me your tank's growth is amazing. :)And without any co2 at all. Do you think its because of the mineralised top soil ? Could you be kind enough to explain how you actually mineralised it please? Did you add anything else to the substrate like laterite or osmocote etc?
Truly inspired to try the mineralised top soil approach after reading this.

Goodness me your tank's growth is amazing. :)And without any co2 at all. Do you think its because of the mineralised top soil ? Could you be kind enough to explain how you actually mineralised it please? Did you add anything else to the substrate like laterite or osmocote etc?
Truly inspired to try the mineralised top soil approach after reading this.

Best time to do it is in summer, throw some soil in a shallow container, let it dry out. (break it up and sieve out the larger stuff), pour water into the container to make it into a thick mud. Let it dry out again, wet it, dry it, until the soil is nice fine gray powder.

You don't really need to do this to be honest. Read the tutorial section.

Back