• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate and sand

Anagorn

Hi all,

For my new tank, I'm searching for answers on how to do it right..

I've bought sand as the main substrate (0.7mm-1.2mm), and I want to use the EI index methods for my plants.

Is it still necessary to add a extra substrate on the bottom? Tropica Growth Substrate for example? Or is this overkill?

On both sides of my tank I want to create a slope, so I wonder if the extra substrate even will reach the roots of my plants..

Love to hear your tips and remarks about this!

I'm sure it would benefit plants on some level if you were to use another layer, but If you're dosing ferts into the water column, the plants will feed off this so a soil substrate is not necessary.

If you do decide to add a bottom layer, keep in mind that it will eventually mix with the sand, so it would be best to find a way to separate them. I've seen tights and stockings being used before.

Or you could use a soil retainer - a sheet of fine plastic mesh, the type usually used for greenhouse shading. Plants will naturally extend their roots down through the sand cap and soil retainer and in to the soil substrate below, often in a matter of days. The phenomenon is known a geotropism and occurs in response to gravity. The advantage of using a soil retainer is that it minimizes any soil disturbance and resulting turbidity during aquascaping, and ongoing maintenance.

If you're going the soil route check out the tutorial section;)

soilretainerwithgravelinsert_zps2ae48225-jpg.50576.jpg

Tropica GS is excellent but you can also use mineralized soils if you don't want to use a commercial mix.

There are several discussions on the soil/topsoil use

What other substrates are available to you?

Last edited:
I was looking for the how to guide for mineralizing soil - with photos - but although I stumble across it occasionally, I never seem to find it when looking :confused:

Tropica GS is excellent but you can also use mineralized soils if you don't want to use a commercial mix.

There are several discussions on the soil/topsoil use

What other substrates are available to you?

To name a few:
Dennerle DeponitMix Professional
Dennerle Nutribasis 6 In 1
Deponitmix Professional 9 In 1
Tetra Complete substrate
JBL AquaBasis plus
Fluval Stratum for plants and shrimps

But to be honest; I can't really tell which one is better than the other..

Both thanks for the links, I'm going to read the topics!

You're just looking for one that is meant to be a 2-3cm layer beneath sand/gravel etc, these are usually very nutrient rich compared to the Aqua Soil types that can be used 5 - 20 etc deep, the former will usually crumble very easily & may contain nutrient salts as well, they will often "cloud" the tank even when only slightly disturbed; Aqua Soils tend to have a much firmer structure
(I believe Fluval & Aquabasis are in this category - look for phrase "does not need to be combined with gravel" - one would not say this about Tropica GS ;))

Sorry for the confusion - if you're wanting a nutrient rich base layer such as Tropica GS, you don't want to use a product that can be used without sand/gravel etc
ie the JBL AquaBasis plus is more akin to an Aqua Soil which can be used instead of sand/gravel etc

Just to be more confusing, there are some that do use Aqua soil as a base layer under a sand/gravel layer - in this instance you'd want to use a "soil retainer" else the nice floaty Aqua soil would (likely) gradually make it's way to the upper levels, you'd also use a deeper layer than the 1-2cm suggested for Tropica GS

You could do...but those are filter media bags filled with inert gravel to create higher levels. The soil went on top covered by a soil retainer and then capping substrate (gravel) on top of that.
You're doing well with the non-native language...It's a typically English response I know, but I always feel somewhat lacking because I wish I could communicate in another language as well as you and the rest of our European cousins do...but then again I have an excuse - I'm lysdexic...:confused:

Back