• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on dosing my 1st planted tank

jonny.j

Can I ask if you"ed use dose on bottle for new tank only bean running 2 days? or half dose until things have settled and stable! Don't wont a algea outbreak by using to much ferts"

Light causes algae.
Full dose, unless you've used a nutritious substrate with lots of n.p.k

Light causes algae.
Full dose, unless you've used a nutritious substrate with lots of n.p.k
used eco complete mate! and iv got seachem flourish exel and potassium also the iron" Would I need the seachem flourish as iv got exel ?

Eco complete has no major nutrients,
I'm not familiar with the excel stuff, does it contain. Nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium?

Excel is a liquid carbon source and its pointless on such a big tank and a huge waste of money. You need to do more research, your clearly unsure of what is required for good plant growth.

Carbon is probably the most important thing, it makes up most of the plant matter. Macro and micro nutrients are also important. Nitrogen, phosphates, potassium, these are macros. Micros are trace elements found in tap water, but only some. We dose micros using a dry mix like plantex csm+b or flourish comprehensive. Bottled ferts are just dry ferts mixed with water. You can save yourself a ton of money by using dry ferts.

For a low tech tank, no co2 and low lighting, you can sometimes get away with not dosing most macros or micros because you can have a large fish load which can act as the fertilizers. Iron and potassium are suggested in these cases because they are mobile nutrients and won't last long on the water column. But with normal or slightly less than a full stocked tank of well fed fish you going to need to dose all ferts. Look into pps pro dosing or ei dosing and read up.

Ferts don't cause algae, lights do, as well as poor maintenance.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Excel is a liquid carbon source and its pointless on such a big tank and a huge waste of money. You need to do more research, your clearly unsure of what is required for good plant growth.

Carbon is probably the most important thing, it makes up most of the plant matter. Macro and micro nutrients are also important. Nitrogen, phosphates, potassium, these are macros. Micros are trace elements found in tap water, but only some. We dose micros using a dry mix like plantex csm+b or flourish comprehensive. Bottled ferts are just dry ferts mixed with water. You can save yourself a ton of money by using dry ferts.

For a low tech tank, no co2 and low lighting, you can sometimes get away with not dosing most macros or micros because you can have a large fish load which can act as the fertilizers. Iron and potassium are suggested in these cases because they are mobile nutrients and won't last long on the water column. But with normal or slightly less than a full stocked tank of well fed fish you going to need to dose all ferts. Look into pps pro dosing or ei dosing and read up.

Ferts don't cause algae, lights do, as well as poor maintenance.

yes Im trying to research more as new to planted setups" So can I ask if id be ok with just odd dosings of iron/potassium as my fish load will be very large with big fish"

This really depends on several things but it could be enough. You want to make sure to keep slow growing plants that don't require much light. This will demand much less. Keep an eye out for algae and deficiency with the plants. Good luck.

Back