• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape 100x50cm

Anagorn

Hi all,

Today I've created my first 'real' aquascape, inspired by some other tanks I found online.
Love to hear you feedback on this!

Ps: How do you guys create proper photo's without the reflections? :)

Aquarium1.jpg

Aquarium2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Ps: How do you guys create proper photo's without the reflections? :)

turn the aquarium lights on or put a light source above the tank to light it up without the lid, make sure the lights in the room are turned off and don't use a flash. ( take my photos at night).

Very nice. How's the slopes being held?

You might want to think about larger rocks say at least 2-3 times as plants can cover them when growing....

I wanted to start with the dsm method, using 1-2 Grow plants in my tank.
I've read quite some articles about it, but could anyone confirm these steps?

1) Add water until the lowest part is just covered in water
2) Plant the plants
3) For the higher parts on the slope; spray them with regular water (no mixed EI methode/regular water!) twice a day
4) Seal the top with plastic foil
5) Let the lights burn for 12 hours or something, until condens forms within the tank
6) Let it grow for 4-6 weeks
7) Fill up the rest of the tank

How is your substrate prepared? looks like sand? - but is there a nutrient rich layer below?
The 1-2-Grow plants don't have much in plant reserves as they are young cuttings that have been propagated & are now ready for the step, which traditionally means an enriched environment with plenty of light & CO2 & nutrients.

1) Add water but not to actually cover the substrate anywhere, you don't want to see standing water (this often leads to rotting of the stems etc) unless there are no plants in that area.
As the higher areas will have dry substrate, you want to flood the tank to make sure the sand/soil is thoroughly damped (with some of the aquarium soils this can take a day or two)
- it's always a good idea to fill the tank & run the filters as usual, this will allow you to adjust filter inlet/outlet so that no sand is being blown about, also look at your scape with the change in perspective that water brings (quite different than air) and see the colors in the rock.
Also note that any driftwood will tend to dry out during the dry start method so it needs to be well anchored (or have a few rocks to balance on top ;))

3) Misting the tank - do make sure you can deliver a very fine mist of water - this is only done to maintain humidity, you don't want to see standing water on the leafs ... if you are in a dry climate, you will likely need to mist more frequently than if climate is naturally humid, so pay attention as molds can be very quick to set in

4) It's often a good idea to leave a small "hole" so that tank is not completely sealed

6) Time frame depends on the plants you've chose, sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 4-6 weeks ... not all plants do well with this home propagation method

Which plants have you chosen?

My substrate is sand, with an underlying base of Colombo Flora Base.
The substrate is located beneath the two slopes. The path doesn't have an extra substrate

If I understand correctly, you would advice to fill my tank right away? I understood the dry start method was a good option to prevent algea?

The list of plants I want to use is not final yet, but for now I have this list:
Foreground:
Micranthemum monte carlo
Alternanthera Reineckii mini
Marsilea hirsuta

Middleground and background:
Rotala sp Colorata
Ammania sp. bonsai
Hygrophila guianensis

So if you have suggestions of plants to add, please let me know :)

not really :) - just offering some considerations - if you want to "dry start", give it a go, just watch how plants respond.

Oh then I misunderstood :)

What do you think of the plants I listed? I choose 1-2 Growth plants because they seemed suites for the dry start. But I don't know if this makes a (huge) difference in pratice?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Back