• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New scape, new plants, new beginning

Wow, this is a dream first tank. Imagine how your next tank will look like!
Thanks for the compliment :)
I was going to post some pictures this weekend but I've just done some trimming and it's not really interesting, so I will wait another week or two...

Talking about the next tank, I am dreaming about it everyday :) I think I would like to set up a biotope for Brigittae rasboras...
It will be low tech this time, feeling a bit lazy :)

Cheers,
Manu

Hi everyone,

It’s been a long time that I didn’t update my journal but it doesn’t mean nothing happened since the last update :)
Bad things and good things happened.
Let's start with the bad: I had to remove two embers from the tank. They were really poorly, stressed and one of them got whit spots, the other one had something weird behind his dorsal. I decided that I really need to get more plants for the fish to feel safer.I also decided that the main focus point for the scape would be the front, and that I won't try for now to make a scape that looks good from the front and from the rear. This made everything easier for both hardscape and planting.

The good is that the scape looks much better now, and the fish look happier and they don't seem to be stressed anymore.
I also invested in an Aquamedic co2 reactor and no more mist :cool:
I had enough of this fizzy water and the fish too. It was so obvious that as soon as the co2 shut down the fish were more active.
I also realised that the co2 bubbles were giving me wrong readings of the DC as those bubbles were caught in it easily. Now, I've got no mist and the drop checkers are both green/yellow.
I have changed the pipe work again so it works better with hardscape and I went with two "half" spray bars along the back glass.
It seems to work well and fish have a bit more peace than before. Just need to make them in acrylic and get some nice transparent suction cups and clips...

The updated plant list is:
-Hair grass
-Hydrocotyle tripartita
-Proserpinaca palustris
-Didiplis diandra
-Fissiden moss
-Pogostemon erectus
-Rotala rotundifolia
-Rotala macrandra
-Alternanthera reineckii "pink"
-Hygrophila pinnatifida
-Vallisneria spiralis
-Vallisneria spiralis red
-Echinodorus bleheri
-Crypts (various)
-Aponogeton ulvaceus

Here are some pictures before and during rescaping and planting:

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

It's now time for the water change, I will put more picture after that :)

Cheers,
Manu

Hi Manu, Last time I see your tank it looked fab.Will be coming up to MK again soon maybe we could meet up again at Destination Aquatics.
The acrylic spray bar sounds good:woot: Order another length of acrylic for me please will sort out the money when I come up :thumbup:

Looking forward to the updates cannot wait to see you new Aquascape

See you soon Pm sort out some dates :D

Hi everybody,

below are a few pictures of the "new" scape. I've tried to give more depth and height by repositioning the rocks and adding a lot of substrate at the back.
Now, with a bit more experience and learning by making a lot of mistakes, I thought more about the layout of the plants. I hope it will work :)
I've placed the Apogoneton in a way that it is giving a lot of shade to the crypts and allows me keep the lights quite bright without getting too much bba. Will see :)
It also gives more cover to the fish and they seem to like it.
I've planted the Proserpinaca palustris in front of the Didiplis diandra and my goal is to keep it really short, 5 to 10 cm. It's in the "advance" plant category from Tropica :nailbiting: But I couldn't resist to try it :)

Here are the pictures:

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

A nice shot of one of the cardinals:

IMG_4340.JPG

And here is one of the new couple of Kribensis, still a bit pale at the moment:

IMG_4334.JPG

Cheers,
Manu

Just read through the whole thread, being really new to hobby I'm still trying to pick up as many pointers or tips that I can from each and every post
In all the pics that you've posted the first thing that hits me is how healthy a vibrant your tank looks. Great job Manu, you've had an interesting journey so far, I enjoyed reading it.

Just read through the whole thread, being really new to hobby I'm still trying to pick up as many pointers or tips that I can from each and every post
In all the pics that you've posted the first thing that hits me is how healthy a vibrant your tank looks. Great job Manu, you've had an interesting journey so far, I enjoyed reading it.

Hi Dead Bonsai,
Thanks for your message and the compliments :) I'm glad you enjoyed the journal :)
The great people on Ukaps have been so helpful. It's really a fantastic forum with so much information that it's quite overwhelming at first.
Cheers,
Manu

Back