• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving House & Planted Discus tank!

GDM

Can I piggy back off of the other recent house move thread with exactly the same question:

This is what I will be moving......http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/towing-the-line-discus-120x50x45.37535/page-2#post-424068

My concern is that I really want to get the fish back into the tank ASAP, planting the thing up again won't be a five minute job.....I think I'd already clocked the fact that with substrait in it this thing will be very very very difficult to move.....

The thought of moving my 500l tank has actually put me off the idea of moving house. The thought of removing all the substrate so we can lift the thing is daunting. Trouble is hubby wants to extend the house and move the tank into another room when the extension is complete so I'm interested to hear what others suggest for your move. Good luck!

Forward planning to ease the stress of a move anyway,if possible get a large holding container(like a large laundry tub)take as much water out of the aquarium as possible say 50% if feasible transfer heater/filter to holding tub. Finally as careful as possible transfer the fish/inverts taking care to not stress them and then shade the holding tub .Dont taking chances completely empty everything out tank after removing remaining water.When we did it this was done the day before the move for fishes sake because moving day is hectic.If possible move tank first if possible night before in position. We moved tank etc in own van on polystyrene and tub separately from removal firm. A bit of help on the day enables you to sort tank out while others :thumbup:sort the furniture out. Any major changes substrate decision can be sorted out at you leisure as long as fish are in filters up and running a few plants in for security:) Hope it helps that's what we did.It was a 200litre tank

Reactions: GDM
As other have said, forward plan. I moved 6-7 years ago and what I did was that I had a gap of 3 weeks. So in the new place I set up the new tank and scaped ready and literally just shifted the fish back in.

I had lots of fish bags and ensure the journey was as quick as possible. No problems and some are still alive. The discus/Angels have slowly passed away over time.

Its a nightmare! I done it 6 months ago and it was more stressful than any other part of the move.

If possible set up a holding tank in your new place a few days before. Thats the fish sorted.

Empty the tank of water, scoop out substrate. I decided not to keep my substrate as there was alot of dirt in it.
Due to ammonia ect you would have to cycle your tank if you keep the substrate.

Good luck

Back