• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Where have all the hedgerows gone - 30 litre Opti-white

GreenNeedle

Technical Specs:
30 litre Opti-white aquarium (L 40cm, H 30cm, D 30cm)
Fluval U1 Internal filter
BeamsWork 9 x 1W LED Clip on luminaire (2 hours morning, 5 hours evening)
No heater or filter

Fertilisation 1.5ml Lush Max weekly
Plants: Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Ammania Bonsoi, Staurogyne Repens, Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow'.
Substrate: Akadama
Hardscape - Manzanita & Mopani scraps. Granite stones.

Livestock - 9 x Danio Margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio / Galaxy Rasbora) and 100s of Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina Davidii 'Red)

A bit of a break from my normal journals where I develop the ideas and plan an aquascape before showing setup pictures and then into the growth stages.

This scape was a birthday present to my Son 6 months ago for his 9th birthday. Basically it is just scraps of hardscape that I had on hand and plants/cuttings from other scapes that I have going. He is still at the watching stage at the moment and I do the maintenance but I was happy to oblige when he said he wanted a 'fish tank' and we can't just have a 'fish tank' in our house can we. It has to be an aquascape.

At the beginning I set the hardscape in and then laid Narrow fern on some flat Mopani pieces at the back, poked some Staurogyne Repens and Ammania Bonsoi in around the stones/wood and then laid Monte Carlo cuttings all over the empty substrate.

It went through a 6 week DSM period hidden in a cupboard before putting it in his bedroom on his birthday while he was at school.

The photoperiod is split so that it comes on at 7am and goes off at 9am so he can view it in the morning before school and it then comes on 3pm until 8pm in the evenings.

This is an ultra low maintenance setup. I don't do anything to it between fortnightly cleanings and that is just wiping glass and squeezing the filter sponges. I leave the central outcrop to gain some height over time.

The name derives from the first thought I had when I filled it up. It reminded me of those little patches in the middle of farmer's fields that used to be part of a hedgerow.

IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1778.JPG IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1790.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

Last edited:
because the PITA attachment thing is messing me about. Not sure why. Having to try different stuff out but if its because of the photosize there is no way I am having seperate sized photos on my HD just for this forum.

Stunning present :D

but really need a dog picture to go with!

Kids are very easily pleased :) The same son ( I have 2 sons) was hugging me and saying thanks Dad last night too. What for? Thanks for doing the stairs Dad, the new carpet looks ace. He has spent every spare moment last night and is there as we speak sat on the stairs with his tablet. He is 9 after all and has a sheltered (in comparison to most of his peers) life. Not as innocent as I / we? were at that age but still enough to find simple things great. I don't think a wind up evil kenevil would satisfy at christmas put it that way. lol.

So yes he was over the moon, but it doesn't take too much. I love kids. Still trying to find something to get the same response from adult.......females :greedy:

You got the wind up Evil Kenevil:eek:...I could only dream...:(
Nice scape...that name (where have all the hedgerows gone) is deeep man...what's the inspiration for it?

You got the wind up Evil Kenevil:eek:...I could only dream...:(
Nice scape...that name (where have all the hedgerows gone) is deeep man...what's the inspiration for it?

I got the evil kenevil. hours and hours of fun. Kids today would do one wind and then 'meh,
what else did ya get me'. lol

evel-knievel-stunt-cycle.jpg

The name? I live in Lincolnshire. There are loads and loads of farmer's fields. All of them will have a patch or patches in them where there is either a tree or a bit of a bog or just rock where there is growth and they can't plough it etc. Would normally have been a section of an old hedgerow in the days where fields were smaller and before they cut all the hedgerows down.

I remember every year my Mum and Dad took me camping to a farm near Chester and that still had the smaller fields and loads of hedgerows.

So the name was just because when I flooded it, it reminded me of one of those patches where they have not been able to plough and a bit of the old hedgerow remains. Not really deep, just a quick 'ooh that reminds me of...'

Last edited:
How did you manage to grow a scape for 6 months without your son knowing about it? Oh that in the cupboard? It's nothing. Just some vegies I'm growing.

Also, your son has a TV and a Playstation 3 in his bedroom and he's just 9? :cool:

How did you manage to grow a scape for 6 months without your son knowing about it? Oh that in the cupboard? It's nothing. Just some vegies I'm growing.

Also, your son has a TV and a Playstation 3 in his bedroom and he's just 9? :cool:

It was hidden in the cupboard for 6 weeks. Been in his bedroom for the last 6 months. This scape has been running since May including DSM.

The TV was our old one. The speakers are temperamental and decide when they want to not work after they've been turned on for a while. The PS3 was a birthday present for him and his brother (who is 10) from an uncle so its a shared present. I had said not to buy it but my wife and her brother colluded on that with it being 'for the whole family' and it was initially downstairs. aargh. The PS3 'move' controllers are for my wife to do her fitness games. It is child protected and their time is limited on it. No internet access without password etc.

Last edited:
Back