• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank reorg.

Ajm200

I've had a bit of a busy eventful afternoon that ended with me reorganising my tank.

I received some lovely plants from Darrel and decided to attach them to the driftwood temporarily rather than leaving floating around the tank.

The wood in the tank has been in there since 2010. It was 3 huge awkward shape lumps of bogwood that my children chose for me. I tried to lift the largest bit out this afternoon and it broke repeatedly. I ended up scrubbing what was left, rearranging the wood in the tank to work with what I had left then planting round it.

Ran out of time and resources but it looks very different.

I've gone from this (taken last summer before the catfish started destroying plants)

image.jpg

To this tonight

image.jpg

Can't decide if I like it. Hubby hates it (I think he can see a price tag looming :) )

Need to add rocks and maybe some ferns and do something with the right side to balance it. I'm hoping the central placement will make the most of the 4ft tubes in the 5ft tank.

Still considering uprooting the lot and moving it to the right so it slopes down to a void in the left but the lighting is slightly left of centre so maybe will leave it central and try to balance the shape

What do you think so far?

Amanda

Ps.. I'd just fed the fish which is why they were on the surface

Do you still have the catfish?

New layout is good I think. I'd personally be looking to add something to cover the bare substrate and slope it from the wood downwards to the edges.

If you moved it over, then maybe add a second smaller point of interest?

Yes. I still have the catfish. The lump of veg at the front of the tank is my attempt to vary his diet. He demolishes sword plants so I want to move away from using them.

The substrate is going to get more attention at the weekend. It's amazing how many snail shells, bits of wood and other detritus I uncovered when I moved the wood. I'm going to give it a thorough clean with the gravel vac then sift it with a cat litter scoop to remove the bigger bits.

After payday in a couple of weeks I'll try to get some stones and maybe some more wood. I'll add the stones and maybe a bit more wood to make more of an island then build the substrate up in the centre and behind the wood. At the moment there are lots of caves and voids at the bottom of the wood. Hopefully more structure will keep the soil in place

If I do get some new smaller pieces of wood, I'll drill them and try some of the Anubius to it so that I can lower down amongst the other wood and stains as I think the Anubius is a bit high now but I was scared to do too much with the older bogwood invade it broke up again

Last edited:
It is low light (almost low tech - very low dose liquid carbon), deep and huge 5'x2'x2' so I'm not sure about carpet plants. I might just bring the crypts out further from the central area but maybe not all the way to the edge unless they choose the spread that far

I did have carpet plants when it was high tech/high light a few years ago but I'm hoping for lower maintenance now

Back