• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jonny's First Planted Aquascape

Jon Nicholson

Seedling
Hi Everyone,

My names Jonny and I'm new to the forum and new to aquascaping. A friend got me into keeping fish about 10 months ago and since finding out about aquascapes I've been fascinated ever since so I've decided to try out my own.

I'm just in the process of setting up my first planted aquascape tank. I bought a 110lt custom built 900x350x350mm glass tank from Midland Aquatics just outside Birmingham and built a custom stand for it too.

At the end of December, after taking 2 days trying different shapes and not being able to decide which I preferred I finally finished my hard scape.

Photo 18-12-2015, 14 52 16.jpg

I waited until January to order my plants as I couldn't decide what I wanted but I ended up going for;

- Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' Tissue Culture
- Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini' Tissue Culture
- Lilaeopsis Novae-zelandiae
- Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosanervig'

And then spent a Friday afternoon planning and planting my tank.

3X5A5595.jpg

Any comments, creative criticism and help welcome as this is the first time I've tried a planted tank.

Jonny

Kit
  • 110 Litre 900 x 350 x 350mm glass tank
  • Eheim Ecco Pro 200
  • Violet Style Glass Lilly Pipes
  • Interpet LED Lighting 900mm Double Bright White Light
  • Hydor 200w inline heater
  • Inline CO2 diffuser
  • Bubble counter
  • 2 KG CO2 Fire extinguisher
  • Regulator with solenoid
  • Drop Checker
Aquascape
  • Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder 18L
  • 12KG Dragon Stone
  • Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' Tissue Culture
  • Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini' Tissue Culture
  • Lilaeopsis Novae-zelandiae
  • Alternanthera reineckii 'Rosanervig'

A really good first attempt, it's clear that you've spent a lot of time thinking about how you want this tank to look.

My only advice would be to lower the DC as the CO2 levels will be much higher at the top and may be totally different at the bottom, which is where most of the plants are.

If I have any criticism, it's that the back left looks a bit bare. I'd buy some more rocks and mirror exactly what you've done on the right and build it as high as possible.

Looks great Jonny and the rocks are stunning. I am 3 months into my own first Aquascape attempt and is always good to see others first tanks. Be great to see the progression of your tank, good luck mate!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

My only advice would be to lower the DC as the CO2 levels will be much higher at the top and may be totally different at the bottom, which is where most of the plants are.

I took your advice and moved my DC down to the bottom at the back behind the stone at the furthest point away form the outlet/CO2 so hopefully now it will give me a better reading, thanks.

Help Please

I've had my plants in a week now and they all seem to be growing quite well, although I noticed today that my Alternanthera Reineckii ''Mini' which was red has now turned green? Some have turned completely green and some still have a bit of red in them. Is this normal/how do I fix it please.

Photo 22-01-2016, 23 06 09.jpg

Jonny

Last edited:
I'm no expert when it comes to red plants but I think they turn green due to a lack of Iron. The plants will still be healthy, they just won't be red.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Many things can effect the redness of Althernanthera. Main one is light. But also iron(high), nitrates (lowish), co2 (high) or maybe even phosphates and also water hardness. Its not an easy path to red plants.

It seems that your water is lacking nutrients. The best way to resolve this is to dose fertilisers using the EI method. This way the tank and plants are getting enough nutrients.

Also, make sure you drop checker is lime-green to indicate that you have optimal amount of CO2 going into the tank as well as a decent lighting setup.

All in all, red plants turning green does necessarily mean a lack of nutrients in the water followed by inadequate strength of light. But first, I would rectify your fertilising issue.

I hope this helps,

Looks great buddy, love dragon stone, picked myself some up today, boy does it take ages to get clean.

Back