• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Night-lights for a planted tank.

Halley

Hello people who like to drown plants, i have a planted tank in my sitting room and the lights come on for 8 hours per day. The problem is the tank looks a bit drab the rest of the time. The question is - has anybody used some form of nighttime lighting to provide some sort of focus when main lights are off. Also are there any drawbacks in using this type of lighting? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some LED units let you set a minimum value, instead of having them turned completely off. I used to run my TMC LED's like this but I was struggling with my tank at the time and decided against it. It does look really good though.

I don't think there are any drawbacks as long as you keep the light levels low, my TMC's were on 1% brightness.

I am using t8s in a juwel vision so dont have any leds in at present. I was hoping for something i could put into the tank to add a different dimension. I like the effect in your video Troi - i dont think it would stay in a juwel vision hood

Tried different things :) But in the end, it's a little investment, but the TC420 led controler, a sufficient power suplly and a RGB led strip is imho the best, easiest and cheapest option with the most possibilities for the money. Depending, where you live and where you buy it will cost between €35 and € 60 complete. Ready to rock and roll..

TC420 is completely programmable with PC and works on it's own internal clock and 5 channels. So once set, you'll never need to look at it again, when sattisfied. A RGB strip needs 3 channels, so you will have 2 channels left for adding 2 x a 1 channel strip if you get ideas. Like a RGBW strip, needs 4 channels..

I've been using a TC420 since Nov. 2013. And glad i bought it, will use it for manny years to come.. :thumbup:

(Not me)

Last edited:
You could add a controller to the lighting setup you currently have although some lighting units require manual DIY skills whereas others let you 'plug in and play' with a controller. I know you can also buy LED spotlights that actually can be submersed into the tank and placed into the substrate which give a good effect but has the issue of maybe causing an eyesore and take up space.

IMO a LED lighting unit with a controller (which allows you to dim the lights, or the controller automatically dims the lights) is the best way. But these can be costly!

I recently found Eltako electronics, funny thing is if you search for dimmers they are not realy easy to be found. I guess they are fairly new on the market and yet not wel known.. It a scandinavian product, have a wide range of multifunctional dimmers available from analog to digital.. With a soft on and soft off feature and a way to set maximum and minimum intesity. Like set them to dim off till 10% and stay that way till the next impuls that say go up again in given time to 100%
And actualy not realy that very expensive. Not yet found a retailer near my place, to take a look and ask qeustions.. :) But it looks like they have prommising dimmers for use in our hobby.. Check it out..
https://www.google.nl/search?q=mult...gB&biw=1525&bih=674&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=eltako

Thanks DRG93 and zozo - there is plenty to think about there

I'm using a TC420 too on a couple of tanks and I'll be converting my others to use them in the near future. They are great little units for the money too.

For the night lights, I just have the blues on at a low level, but I'm going to experiment soon by having a single white LED spotlight with a narrow beam angle aimed diagonally down and across my tank to mimic the moon. I'll have this pretty low too so as to not light the tank but add an effect.

Back