• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Found wood....

Doozer999

So...there I was walking along the river Thames and I came across some inspiration for a rescape...

axtwW2.jpg

Well...I think it's interesting! It's about a metre long, and of a decent girth. It is a piece if root, from what I can tell, rather than branch, but was washed up and loose. It has bark on it, and some moss - but non aquatic moss. A bit of bird poo...

My question is...should I use it, and if so, how do I make it "safe" for use in my planted community tank?

Or...should I just steer clear entirely?

My plan was to give it a thorough scrub with hot soapy water, some anti bac and a good rinse. I would also leave it for a week or two in a big container of old water from my water changes. If I could, I was going to try and simmer it in boiling water the best I can too.

Advice very welcome!

Many thanks

I wouldn't go anywhere near it with cleaners. Very really chance the cleaners could leach into tank later on ans cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for such a swift response....

Does that mean, steer clear, full stop....

Or just, don't use any chemicals, but scrubb it well and better still, try and boil it?

It is already 'heavy' and waterlogged.

Safest method would be to get a large container, stick it in your garden and fill with water, change the water every week or so until the thing sinks, I would probably do four or five 100% water changes.

PS strip the bark from it and make sure it's from a hard wood tree.

Thanks ender.

It is heavy enough to sink.

I think my concern is it being 'clean' enough to enter my tank....

Marvellous...the best wood is free . I'm sure it'll be fine especially if it's hard wood. Just do as Ender suggests especially with regards stripping the bark off...it'll rot and pollute your tank otherwise.

I hope this works out for you, unfortunately I cannot give any words of wisdom here ha. To be fair though, the wood we buy in pet stores is sourced from rivers and quite often we don't know which.

I would use it if I found it upstream but I would steer clear otherwise.

I have often seen things when out walking the dog that I would love to add to the tank. I haven't done it as yet.

Boiling water, give it a good scrub. Then leave it in a bucket submerged in water for a few days. Keep changing the water every so often.

Just be aware though that wood can often leech tannins and sometimes harmful toxins to the tank.

Back