• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amazon sword growth rates. How fast does yours grow?

I recently added a amazon sword to my 75g with co2 ferts and planted plus lighting. 7 hour photoperiod. It's growing what I would consider to be very fast for a rossette plant. Like a solid inch or more per day.

Is this normal? Will this keep up long term?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Well either way its exciting to see this thing grow like crazy. Seems like a new leaf is popping up every few days after the old one has grown to surpass the one before it.

This is the first time keeping this plant, my tank is a crypt tank and watching them grow in comparison is like a Lamborghini vs a old vw bug :)

Most Echinodorus (=swords) are very good at adapting to various conditions in aquarium. This is what make them highly recommendable and popular, especially to "less experienced" aquarists.
In "Low Tech" conditions (=no added CO2 and low-ish light levels), they tend to grow smaller - whereas in "High Tech" conditions (= added CO2 and hogh light levels) they grow fastervand can grow huge.....very huge, actually !!!
Echinodorus bleherii (=common Sword) is such one.
It was earlier named Echinodorus paniculatus.........there may be a reason for that name :nailbiting:
Adventive plants (=babies on a string) can be cut off and re-planted - thereby getting more indivodual plants .
Enjoy the healthy growth of your Sword !!

I thought about that already and its what I wanted from the plant.

I want to create shade for my angels. Since this is a crypt tank, the area where I put the sword would shade green and brown wendtii, which don't need alot of light.

Also, I like the idea of adding some big plant to break line of sight as there is potential for some aggression with angels. Right now they all get along and are still sub adult stage. But anything to help divide some territory is not going to hurt any.

Here is a pic of the tank to give you can idea.

20160108_173952_zpshpggybwq.jpg
As for roots and getting to big, it shouldn't be a huge problem as I can simply keep cutting back leaves. I don't do any trimming in this tank because of my plant choices. Only time I break out my scissors is to trim really old leaves if they start to look bad. Maybe bi monthly.

If I ever wanted it gone I would just leave the roots in, cut all leaves and slowly kill it. I think that would work ;)

I grow them on emersed . I dont have big tank. :'(. For this beautiful plant
image.jpg

Quick is the answer!

This is taken 51 days apart. Existing plant in the tank moved into a new location and I cut the roots back. (The tank is 2ft / 60cm)

Sword51Days_zps1rmgldep.png

i've seen one standing in a pot at the window.. Looked realy good, the guy said only in winter time when central heating is on, it has a bit of trouble and drying out. But bounces back every summer. :)

I've got a "Junglestar Kleiner bähr" growing out of a 30 cm high open top tank.. :) Lovely plant.. The nice thing is you'll see it's fast transition happening for your eyes. When a few sword leaves stick out there tips, they dry out very quick but the plant picks this up immediately and starts happily growing emmersed, smaller less sword like leaves on a very long stem, very fast about 1 leaf each week, which don't dry out.

Honestly I have never seen a plant grow so fast. It's growing full 8-10" leaves in 3 days while already starting the next one which is an inch on the third day.

I even took a picture of a new sword leaf 30min before lights out. In the morning I took another one (before lights came back on), it had grown in the night another 1.5"!!

Mine used to grow rapidly with co2. They'd reach the surface of my two foot high tank in a few weeks. I was constantly thinning them out. Growing low light with liquid co2 soon changed that. Now the catfish keeps them small, weak and brittle.

Back