• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Swimming Pool Heater Pump for heating up centralised system fish room

I've came across this product during my research for installing swimming pools. It basically work like a reverse air conditioninig unit where it extract the heat from the air surround the machine and transfer the heat to the water column it's meant to be heating up. It will work as long as the temperature the body of the machine is in is above 8 degree celcius.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ECO-03-Swim...22799&sr=8-1&keywords=swimming+pool+heat+pump

Considering how much it would have cost to heat the fish room/house up the traditional way, connecting this unit to the centralised filter to heat up the water seemed like a no brainer. Has anyone done anything similar to this? Any thoughts on this idea?

Regards,

Daniel

No good as it really requires clean water circulating like filtered pool water, it would soon block up internally with fish tank water. Commercial shops running one water system use giant inline heaters, like big boy Hydors, to heat their water.

What if you connect it to a swirl filter to remove the solid first then filter it through a series of brush and mesh and foams before directing the water to the heat pump? I know for sure that this was used in big scale aquaculture but does that mean they have heat pump of a different calibre specifically catering for aquaculture need? This particular model does sound a lot cheaper than what my research has suggested.

This is the type of thing fish shops use to heat their water. All very industrially strong and designed for 24/7 operation. Also easy to clean, isolate from system, pop ends off, scrub the tube, put ends on, done.
http://www.koi-zone.co.uk/Cloverlea...Pond-Heater-With-Digital-Stat-Kit-p-1441.html

My LFS had something similar, a 3KW stainless steel tube of a heater that heated the water for all of their tanks (also include a monster UV steriliser as well).

I know for sure that this was used in big scale aquaculture
Unless they had a secondary heat exchanger to exchange heat between a heat recovery loop and dirty water loop ? These heat recovery systems have a very fine internal heat exchanger that will easy block up and are designed to be used on the filtered outlet of swimming pool filter systems.

Well the link below is where I first found the heat pump for sale but the cost was a little prohibitive hence I hunted around to see if I can find similar item for a cheaper price. I suppose these heat pump was design specifically to be use for aquaculture and it is probably design very differently to normal swimming pool heat pump. Thanks for your timely explanation. Cheers

http://www.heatpumpsuppliers.com/aquaculture-heat-pumps.html

These are specially designed for aquaponics (and swimming pools) and it talks about "flat plate" exchangers (and titanium) so will run fine on dirty water. They are also monster, about a meter cubed, designed for very large aquaculture set up. They require a fixed 63A (@110V) feed as well.

You can work out their power consumption, from their COP (coefficient of performance). The HR 90-RA quotes 56,000BTU with COP of 4. This is takes in 56,000/4.0 BTU of power = 14,000BTU. Converting to Watts (1 BTU = 0.00029307107017 kWh) gives 4.1kW, so way above a 13A 240V plug, and at 15p per kWH works out 60p an hour to run.

Back