• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Temporary fish housing during rescape?

Wisey

Hi All,

Can anyone link me to what would be a suitable storage container to keep my fish in for a day during a rescape please? Have been looking at "food safe" containers, but they seem to be really expensive. I only have 7 Cory's, 6 Ottos, about 15 Ember Tetra and 3 Amano Shrimp, so don't need anything too big I guess. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on something that will not be frequently used, but also don't want to put my fish in something that's not suitable. I'm assuming that ones that are not "food safe" may leach something in to the water that is harmful to the fish?

Plastic tubs from tesco etc
Only a few pounds.

Any sort of plastic containers from your local supermarket will be fine, just give them a good rinse out with hot water (no soaps) beforehand. If you are keeping the livestock in the container for a long period of time then have you thought about the temperature of the water dropping down to the current room temperature? Maybe you may have to add the heater into the temporary plastic container if you think that the temperature will drop drastically.

Plastic tubs from tesco etc
Only a few pounds.
Any sort of plastic containers from your local supermarket will be fine, just give them a good rinse out with hot water (no soaps) beforehand. If you are keeping the livestock in the container for a long period of time then have you thought about the temperature of the water dropping down to the current room temperature? Maybe you may have to add the heater into the temporary plastic container if you think that the temperature will drop drastically.

Great, thanks, that should keep the cost low. I was just worried what chemicals might be in the plastics on those cheap containers. I have an eheim thermal filter, so will run that on whatever I keep the fish in to ensure the water is heated and circulated.

I used a food safe box from the range, came with a lid, big enough to attach an internal heater to the side and use it as a storage box for tank spares etc once the fish were back in the tank, think it was about £8

Back