• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants from Borneo

Hi Many, Flowgrow you know already ;) now use it's search filter left side of the plantlist and filter on region. "Southeast Asia" then if you click a plant they also show you a little map in which part of that region this plants is reported. :thumbup: Plants are rarely endemic to only one country, in particular (for animals edible) plants which flower and have seeds etc. they migrate along with animals especiay the birds distrubute plants ove large areas. Even non edible plants or true aquatics can migrate like that with wading birds, f.e. when they take off in Borneo and a small piece of a plant sticks to their legs, they land in a pool in thailand and the package is delivered.. :nailbiting:

Hi Manu, I'd broaden my search to include the whole of Southeast Asia; Borneo is the maritime geographical centre.
Barclaya longifolia springs to mind, as do some Hygrophila spp. Limnophila spp. and Rotala spp.
I guess you could also include some cosmopolitan species, which wouldn't be entirely out of place, if you're struggling to find those that are more endemic e.g. Eleocharis spp, Riccia etc.

Hi Many, Flowgrow you know already ;) now use it's search filter left side of the plantlist and filter on region. "Southeast Asia" then if you click a plant they also show you a little map in which part of that region this plants is reported.Plants are rarely endemic to only one country, in particular (for animals edible) plants which flower and have seeds etc. they migrate along with animals especiay the birds distrubute plats ove large areas. Even non edible plants or true aquatics can migrate like that with wading birds, f.e. when they take off in Borneo and a small piece of a plant sticks to their legs, they land in a pool in thailand and the package is delivered.. :nailbiting:
Hi Zozo :)

Yes, I know flowgrow thanks to you :)
And I've used it a lot too. I just wanted to get species that are rather specific to Borneo. But you're right, plants travel too :)

I don't want someone to say: "that's not from Borneo!" ;)

I might go with your option... What I like about it, it's the easy option :)

Cheers!

By the way, are you able to join the ukaps party in March?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi Manu, I'd broaden my search to include the whole of Southeast Asia; Borneo is the maritime geographical centre.
Barclaya longifolia springs to mind, as do some Hygrophila spp. Limnophila spp. and Rotala spp.
I guess you could also include some cosmopolitan species, which wouldn't be entirely out of place, if you're struggling to find those that are more endemic e.g. Eleocharis spp, Riccia etc.
Hi Troi,

Thanks for your reply. Same advise as Zozo, so I'll follow your suggestions guys!

Cheers!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

But you're right, plants travel too

Even some fish do travel by air.. :) works to same for them, fish eggs sticking between the ducks flippers and get a first class ticket to the next water they land in.

Off topic, there is a funny little booklet, titled "The Complete Angler" from sir Isac Walton. Its partialy a dialog between the Mercator and Pescator (hunter and fisherman). Writen in the (i believe) 16th century. It still is unedited reprinted till today. Some of these dialogs are discussions between the hunter and fisherman about odd observations they made in nature and philosophize to find possible explainations for it. They had the funniest ideas back then, it's a lauch to read it. Like some monks reported finding eels, pikes and minnows in a pond they dug to breed carp. How the hell did eels get in there?? That was like magic to them.. Eels must originate from fallen off hairs from horse tail or mane landing in the pond. That's most logical isn't it, if the horses drink from the pond ?? :nailbiting: Well monks are known to brew the best beer.. :lol:

By the way, are you able to join the ukaps party in March?
I'm seriously thinking about it, could use a few days out of the house.. But i still can't say.. One of my cats got sick (nasty skin infection) and needs daily care. Hope it's over by then, realy can't put anybody else up to the daily fight, that's going to turn in a blood bath. And i got a little surpise from the tax bureau last week, i'm trying to get around.. But still got a few weeks to get things sorted out.. I hope i can make it. :)

Good luck with the Borneo biotope. :thumbup: When it comes to biotopes south east asia also always was one of my favorites.. My new tank also is a bit, but still did put Anubias in, the rest is all from this region or cosmopolitin. :)

Michael Lo is a pretty good source of inspiration for that neck of the woods, although a lot of the info is spread all over the place.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/travel/asia/index.html (scroll down a bit to find the SE Asia stuff)
http://junglemikey.blogspot.co.uk/

After that your best bet is probably to search for biotope/collection info on specific fish species. If you've got Betta species in mind then try asking on the new AAGB facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/653236004747602/

This is a great page also for inspiration, if not hard info (actually it's mainly Thailand, but its still ace) - https://www.facebook.com/Ton.Ekkapan?fref=nf

I've got a small but quite useful book on Anabantoids that I check specific habitat descriptions if you like.

some good information in these links :)

Michael Lo has a facebook page with loads of photos - well worth perusing

Back