• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New here, ADA 60P

jag51186

Seedling
Hey all,

I'm from across the sea in the US, but I was very impressed with the forum and the many tanks here, so I figured I would join and start a journal for my new ADA 60P. This will be my first high tech tank, so looking forward to learning a lot.

Specs:
Tank: ADA 60P
Filter: Eheim 2215
Lighting: Buildmyled.com Dutch series
Heater: Hydor Inline 200W
CO2: Green Leaf Aquariums setup w/ atomic diffuser
Ferts: EI Method
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil

Still not sure on the style I am aiming for, but I got in some Yamaya Stones (so they don't affect GH), and some Manzanita Driftwood. Started playing around with some scape attempts tonight, sorry for the subpar pictures... But I would love some feedback.

24340510650_e1d69f13f0_c.jpgScapes 001 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24636050955_169025cf37_c.jpgScapes 002 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24268319299_9f006bfa10_c.jpgScapes 003 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24268316359_a122467f9e_c.jpgScapes 004 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

I am planning on an HC carpet in the foreground and then some nice stem plants behind and around the driftwood, probably some AR mini, Pogo erectus, Pogo helferi, and some others. Also, planning on some moss attached to the wood.

Thanks all! Any opinions on which scape is best?? They are all kind of similar though...

I don't have many more spare rocks, and didn't want to lose too much planting space.

Hi and welcome,

My favourite is scape #003 and I reckon that maybe the bigger squarer stone in the centre should be swapped leftwards perhaps as it feels to "strong" there?. I suggest you resist the urge to rush and keep moving things around until it feels right and then leave it for a few hours or overnight before looking again with a fresh eye. I don't generally manage this patient approach myself of course but I am confident that it's very wise advice none the less!

Enjoy

Thanks everyone for the input, so far I am liking number 4 the best with a simpler approach, because it will likely end up jammed full of plants anyway, so I have those two pieces soaking. I will continue to fiddle with the rocks for now...but I ordered two cups of Tropica HC off Amazon to arrive Friday! So, I will be getting this dry start rolling!!

24359713370_882c5d8cd3_c.jpgScapes 002 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24028451323_afd8900764_c.jpgScapes 003 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Nice scapes :)

but perhaps try the rocks less organized ... looking more tumbled in position & height above the substrate level - I know, easier if you had limitless rock from which to choose ;)

Before deciding on final positioning, look at rock wet & under lights, even then "with water" can look substantially different as perception through air is quite different than perception through water, unfortunately once you flood the substrate there won't be anywhere near the same ease of positioning/repositioning of hardscape.

Nice scapes :)

but perhaps try the rocks less organized ... looking more tumbled in position & height above the substrate level - I know, easier if you had limitless rock from which to choose ;)

Before deciding on final positioning, look at rock wet & under lights, even then "with water" can look substantially different as perception through air is quite different than perception through water, unfortunately once you flood the substrate there won't be anywhere near the same ease of positioning/repositioning of hardscape.

Hmmm, I was kind of going for the wall impression because the foreground is going to be a full carpet of HC (assuming I can get it to do well). So, I was kind of going for the two-tiered look but without using sand for contrast like most people do. But, I will see what I can do *tosses rocks in air and sees where they land for inspiration* :woot:

Oh, and I also feel like I am pulverizing the Aquasoil into actual soil with all this scaping lol

You could maintain the wall while still varying height ... I think (ease depends on rocks)

Aquasoil should be fine - assuming it's dry, it should just slide aside without much "grinding" action (flooded substrate is definitely more fragile)

Anyway you have to like your tank - doesn't much matter about anyone else, especially as photos are merely a representation.

Nice... Who am I to comment you're great work... but :)... I would consider the flow of you're tank and how you place your rocks. If I look at the wood I think that the flow will be from left to right..? So try to image how the rocks would shape if they are there for a long time. Also I would consider some more different size rock. But again who am I... You have to like it.

iwagumi-style-tank.jpg

Even the fish go with the flow in this iwagumi style layout ;)

You could maintain the wall while still varying height ... I think (ease depends on rocks)

Aquasoil should be fine - assuming it's dry, it should just slide aside without much "grinding" action (flooded substrate is definitely more fragile)

Anyway you have to like your tank - doesn't much matter about anyone else, especially as photos are merely a representation.

Nice... Who am I to comment you're great work... but :)... I would consider the flow of you're tank and how you place your rocks. If I look at the wood I think that the flow will be from left to right..? So try to image how the rocks would shape if they are there for a long time. Also I would consider some more different size rock. But again who am I... You have to like it.

iwagumi-style-tank.jpg

Even the fish go with the flow in this iwagumi style layout ;)

Thank you both for the input! I will see if I can make it look more natural, though I think I am lacking the true eye for hardscape placement. @Jink82 I wish I had more varying sizes of rock, but this is pretty much all I've got unfortunately. I'll see what I can do about making it flow better.

Yamaya rock tends to come in those "fist-sized" rocks & smaller - it's more often used for a "tumbled" rock appearance than the iwagumi style re rock shape & size ... online searches for aquscapes done with yamaya stone don't yield much (hopefully this statement will produce a host of linked images I've missed :D ) other than the "rock wall" use

Local shop has a couple boxes, it ranges from quite light green (under lights & water) to deep grey, some of the rock looks quite "flat" in color tones, others can appear to have nice uneven texture/color, one larger rock even has "sparkly bits" (fools gold???) on one facet

Got my 1-2-Grow HC a day early!! So, I went back to fiddling with stones and came up with this. I think it looks a bit more natural, and am currently liking it. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, the big camera died and it's sunny so it's glaring...and I'm too impatient to wait 4 hours to take pics and post. Hope you guys like it!

24378196090_af676c2f64_c.jpg12636957_10100101795454392_560171918_o by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24673742635_d8c3a33fc0_c.jpg12630786_10100101795459382_364560649_o by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

I'm assuming the HC is ok to stay in it's cup for another day or so??

Dry Start in progress!

24597448692_18859ab8c3_c.jpgHC planted 001 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24419695000_24c871ddd7_c.jpgHC planted 003 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

24347554329_d44cb9e776_c.jpgHC planted 004 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Hoping this HC takes off like crazy and carpets like mad. I had changed the rocks around more to attempt to make things look more natural. Not sure how well I succeeded, but that's what I ended up with. The wood is soaking currently.

For the rest of my plant list, so far I am thinking.

Staurogyne repens

Alternanthera Reineckii 'mini'

Pogostemnon Erectus

Pogostemnon helferi

Rotala macrandra

Ammania bonsai

who knows what else.

Back