• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New wood for the tank

Ajm200

Went to have a browse around a LFS today and hubby bought me some new wood for my tank.

4aDs4H.jpg
kROA50.jpg

It will replace the big mass of driftwood I'm making do with that is too big, too dark and blocking flow.

What do you think?

It is just under 2ft tall so the tallest part will almost touch the top of the tank. I guess I'll place it centrally. It is against the 5ftx2.5ft cabinet to give you an idea of size.

It is quite flat so I will look out for smaller bits that I can put amongst the stones at its base pointing forward to provide depth but I do want to provide lots of swimming space for the Angels as they grow so it could work out.

Attachments

• 4aDs4H.jpg
    4aDs4H.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • 4aDs4H.jpg
    4aDs4H.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 4aDs4H.jpg
    4aDs4H.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • kROA50.jpg
    kROA50.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • kROA50.jpg
    kROA50.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • kROA50.jpg
    kROA50.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
great wood - not so easy to find substantial pieces that aren't dwarfed in bigger tanks
I'd place it off centre though, also perhaps try out some angulation to give depth illusion
:)

I was going to aim for an island type scape. Lots of rocks round to base of the wood. I think if the wood is angled slightly it could naturally fall within the tallest branch at the top left third of the tank. A few smaller branches around the base pointing towards the front at angles might add depth.

The tank is viewed from 3 sides and dominates one wall of our living room

I will have to use existing plants for now. Mainly crypts amongst the rocks and spilling over to the substrate. Smaller anubias amongst the branches. Java ferns and larger anuibias around the base of the wood.

Maybe some moss on the branches if I can find one that is slow growing, will trail nicely from the branches, tolerate liquid carbon and not look straggly.

Open to suggestions on suitable types of moss. I do know I don't want Java moss. It drove me crazy last time I tried it getting everywhere and always looking scruffy.

Would also like a plant to contrast against the crypts that I can plant in the crevices between stones that will trail over the stones, not grow too high and grow nicely in low light

Last edited:
Looks like we will have fun.

We don't own anything large enough to soak the wood in except the tank
Looks like it is going in the tank tied to a slate as a temporary measure until it is waterlogged.

The tank has a centre brace that I'd not thought about so getting it into the tank may be a fun challenge

After trying sorts of options to soak the wood including rain barrels and the bath I gave up. I attached a flat slate to the bottom and put it in the tank with extra rocks on the slate to weigh it down. To make it fit all the other wood had to come out and the plants on it had to go somewhere.

I attached anubias and ferns onto the wood and plants the crypts and stems around its base.

I thought the rocks where brown and grey but when I cleaned then I saw they contain lots of white. Not sure about them.

What I have so far is a start limited by a very buoyant piece of wood but it is a start. I'm sure I'll end up changing most of it soon enough. I have more rocks and will buy more plants at the end of the month. Hopefully by then the wood might have sunk!

What do you think?

g6s2Ij.jpg

j0wwxx.jpg

Attachments

• j0wwxx.jpg
    j0wwxx.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
  • j0wwxx.jpg
    j0wwxx.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
Thinking about making the wood towards the left

Last edited: