• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New here, ADA 60P

So, I finally flooded this thing, and my adventure into high tech has begun! My carpet didn't really spread much in the month it had to grow, but it's rooted well, so I'll take it. Also, my wife's grandpa is making an L for my desk, which is where this tank will be...but this is taking forever, so I just stuck it on a random piece of furniture from the porch! :bored: (woohoo impatience) Anyway, the setup went ok, due to the height of the current stand, my hoses are longer than necessary and tend to try to kink, but it's working. Also, thought I broke my regulator from GreenLeaf initially, but it's working today, so I guess we are good...

Anyway, here's the full tank shot!

2rn915y.jpg

Pardon, the diffuser being in the middle of everything, going to move that over during tomorrow's water change. As you can also probably tell, I ended up removing a lot of rocks and driftwood because I didn't like how much it restricted the number of plants I could fit. I also ordered too much AR mini, so it's kind of everywhere right now. But anyway, plant list thus far is...

HC 'cuba'
S. repens
AR 'mini'
Ammania bonsai
Bucephalandra purple-blue
Bucephalandra hades (yay free samples)
Pogo helferi is on the way

qz3oe0.jpg

2rdwx84.jpg

jszmfn.jpg

I am planning on getting some Fissidens Fontanus and gluing it to the three rocks on the right. Also, taking votes for what to put in the back left corner. My two favorites right now are Ludwigia arcuata and Rotala wallichii. But, I am open to any other suggestions! Hope you guys like it, can't wait for things to start growing!

Anyone know how long I should keep the co2 cranked up?? A week or two before I start dialing it back? Doing lights at 50% for 7 hours, and EI dosing at somewhere around 1/2. About how long do I wait to crank everything to full??

Anyone know how long I should keep the co2 cranked up?? A week or two before I start dialing it back? Doing lights at 50% for 7 hours, and EI dosing at somewhere around 1/2. About how long do I wait to crank everything to full??
At least a couple of weeks. Do maximum while you don't have fish. Keep the lights the same.

Got my Pogo helferi in there now too, and they sent a free cup of t/c, so I had way more than I wanted...so it's packed now, minus the back left corner which is waiting for ludwigia arcuata

So it's been about ten days or so, and I now have everything in the tank. It feels like it never changes, but looking back at the original pictures you can really tell how things are taking off...super excited for all this! Can't wait to trim things and pack the plants close together! I am operating at 50% power on my lights, cranked co2, and half EI dosing right now. I will up this starting next week since the plants are establishing fairly well. Hope you guys like it!

Current plant list:
Ludwigia arcuata
Ammania bonsai
Pogostemon helferi
Alternanthera reineckii mini
Bucephalandra purple blue
Buce hades
S. repens
Hemianthus callictrichoides cuba (Dwarf baby tears)
Fissidens Fontanus
Proserpinaca palustris ( I think that's what it is, got it from LFS a long time ago and had it in a low tech and it wasn't doing great, so put it in the high tech)

Pardon the stainless steel, some of the Fissidens stuck to it, so I figured I would see if it will grow.

25512825092_6ae300a0f6_c.jpgHigh tech update one week in 012 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

25605349356_848740cd8b_c.jpgHigh tech update one week in 009 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

25538851911_979d7092f6_c.jpgHigh tech update one week in 008 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Gotta love bubbles!

25631495405_79938704f4_c.jpgHigh tech update one week in 005 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Thanks all!

Time for another update...hope you guys are liking what you see!

So, the tank went through an INTENSE ugly mode. LOADS of diatoms, everywhere. This definitely stressed out the plants, lots of melting on my Ammania Bonsai, and the pogo helferi. Not sure how the Fissidens is doing...but will hopefully hang on. Anyway, the tank took another month to fully cycle after flooding. Now that it is cycled, I added 7 Amano shrimp, lost 3 of them. I think they just didn't transition well with my nitrates and CO2. I pushed the CO2 way back to 2 bps, which made the drop checker somewhere between blue and green. Was dosing between 1/3 and 1/2 EI levels, then went on a trip for 6 days, which really let the plants soak up the nitrates. I upped my lighting to 75% power, and I think the shrimp are really helping with the diatoms, and I am planning on adding some Oto's soon as well.

Anyway, here are the pictures...oh and I left some diatoms on the back wall for when I get my Oto's.

25639007834_39a3a8638c_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 003 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Proserpinaca is having a rough transition from my low-tech to high-tech, but I think it is going to pull through.

26243765095_6060bf1de8_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 005 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Really excited to see the Ludwigia arcuata transition to it's high light form! Spiky leaves and color!!

26151315412_fd883b11bd_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 006 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

26151311662_ea6c79acfb_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 007 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

25641075323_368c86905d_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 010 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Lost a lot of Ammania to the diatom's drowning it...stems melted...but a few stems survived!

26151296652_5c5f0bec25_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 011 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

26217812986_5d57cfcce1_c.jpgHigh tech update 4416 012 by Jason Grohmann, on Flickr

Hope you guys like the update!!

Hey man, any chance of having a look at that light? is it built using 0.5W SMd led or 3W power LEDs? Can you control the visible colour?

Hi, I really like your chosen layout and plants all seem to be doing well. I'm too new to the hobby to offer any insight but looking good
I wondered why you decided to include less manzanita wood? Are you adding it later or want more free space for planting? I'm currently using yamaya stone & have got a good range in size - though I suppose that's much use to you in the states!

Hey man, any chance of having a look at that light? is it built using 0.5W SMd led or 3W power LEDs? Can you control the visible colour?

All I can say is that I didn't build it. http://www.buildmyled.com/ is where it came from, though they have since closed the aquarium side of the business.

Hi, I really like your chosen layout and plants all seem to be doing well. I'm too new to the hobby to offer any insight but looking good
I wondered why you decided to include less manzanita wood? Are you adding it later or want more free space for planting? I'm currently using yamaya stone & have got a good range in size - though I suppose that's much use to you in the states!

Thanks for the compliments! I really just wanted more room for planting, my main tank used to be very heavily planted, but my fish (Rosy Barbs) have destroyed most of them. So, I really wanted a tank that I could jam a ton of plants into.

Back