• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shoalling non jumpers

As others have mentioned, I have Ember Tetras and they are fine in high tech, high flow, have had the water level 5mm from the top and they never jumped. I do these days have a cover, but that was due to my Odessa Barbs all jumping to their deaths, never had an issue with the Embers.

These are the choices I have: cardinal ,neon,emperor,harlequin raspora, serpae, glowlight,black phantom. Cant get other species at my local pet shop.

Last edited:
Oh, I see know, my personal preference would be Cardinals. A large shoal looks fantastic.
fts-1-jpg.50571.jpg

Comming to think of it a bit more, maybe feeding this with ordenairy floating flake food makes the fish focus to much on what's happening above them. All animals even domesticated have a certain degree of food agression. Who knows what they see what we don't, it could be a speck of dust landing on the water surface and make them race towards it thinking it could be something edible. Since fish are very competetive with beeing ringleader at the food source.

I know it is funny to see your fish race to the surface when you stick your had above the tank.. When i was a kid i trained my fish with tapping the glass in a corner to make'm all come. But if you have open top and jumpers ?? You might be better off to stop doing that if you do that.. And feed them a while with something sinking or something that's living. Train them not to focus at the surface. :thumbup: I wont be surprised if it works. :rolleyes:

maybe feeding this with ordenairy floating flake food makes the fish focus to much on what's happening above them
agree that this may be a more relevant factor than many expect
(I rarely feed surface floating foods)

cardinal ,neon,emperor,harlequin raspora, serpae, glowlight,black phantom.
I have some green neons - likely wild caught as they have a very high sense of "alert" and they are tiny (that reported 15 - 25mm seems accurate) - in contrast, I've seen many green neon shipments in the shops that are much larger ... I like the more subtle coloring of these fish (rather than cardinals - though Troi's picture is stunning :wideyed:)

Black phantom would be quite opposite in behavior (& aspect) to the Glowlights so consider which appeals more - I'm not sure of the dimensions of your tank, you might try a smaller group of both, then switch over to the one that appeals more (check if your lfs allows return for credit etc) ... or keep both :)
Most shoaling species, once relaxed in an environment, will begin to spread out & occupy all areas of the tank, only returning to a "school" formation when threatened (threat may not be overt)

Emperor tetras I'd not actually put in a small tank - suggested minimum is 60cm, but they can be quite territorial (rival males) & I'd not add them to any tank under 90cm (& not a shallow tank)

I was just looking at the tank this morning with
M kubotai (50 or so)
S axelrodi (maybe 12 or so remaining - they completely integrate with the kubotai rather than remaining close to other axelrodi)
9 orange "guppy boys" (look to be a guppy/endler mix)
The streaming "shoal" ... was the group of bright orange! they often separate but rarely stay apart long, there are a couple that like to go about their own business, but the group of 7 is rarely apart

This is quite stupid of me first asking for advice and then not using it but I got Glowlight Tetras. I most agree with the Cardinal Tetras and I so wanted to get 15 of them however there were two things that made me change my mind and to be honest I hope I am wrong so I can get the Cardinals.

One was that I read that Glowlights do fine with shrimp while I could not find a statement like this for Cardinals (maybe I missed it) and the other was that Cardinals are middle to top swimmers while the Glowlights are middle to bottom swimmers which means less chances for them to jump.

Any thoughts on the reasoning behind my choice?

Can I have a shoal of Glowlights and a shoal of Cardinals together in a 60x40x40 planted tank?

Love Glowlights in numbers they look really good and tend to stay mid aquarium and mine anyway stay together, I think it's often unless it's a hatchet or killiefish what definetly jump at anytime, it is this feeding time or suddenly exposed to noise that can be the trigger for jumping but I think unless it's a breeding project not to be too quiet as they get used to people walking past,general living room movement

Back