• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good starter plants for 9 year old's 25l tank

Ajm200

Hi,

My son bought his first tank today. He will be using it for a single fighting fish.

It is in his bedroom do I do not want to use liquid carbon or bottled co2 so it will be low tech. It has built in LED lights with 3 settings. I'll encourage him to keep them on the lowest setting. I'll add ferts once a week at water change.

What would you recommend for him. I was thinking

Anubias nana petite
Java fern
Hygrophilia
Crypt Parva
Sagittaria subulata

It is too shallow for most tall plants and I don't think he'll manage to maintain carpet plants. He has chosen sand as a substrate

What do you think? I want it to be simple for him so he doesn't lose interest and change it over to neon gravel, a car and a no fishing sign

Thanks

Chuck some sort of base substrate in and you'll do well. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green' is a good one to add. Might also be worth putting some floating plants in there too.

Crypt parva does better with higher lighting & can be v.e.r.y slow, C becketti "petchii" is a small crypt that is much easier/faster growing

Note that these LED's may be very low power, so higher setting may be better even with no CO2 etc - you can easily add some substrate under the sand (choose one such as Tropica Growth Substrate which is designed for this sort of use)

Nothing wrong with a few wrecked ships & skeletons or looming dinosaurs
Invading Jellyfish Aliens is one of my all time favorites :D

The lights are surprisingly bright. I managed a successful algae farm in the same tank a year ago using the LEDs on full despite injected co2. It used to house my CRS.

I don't mind them too much. They have a Disney Princess stuck castle in the goldfish tank. I just hate scrubbing the green slime off them

Back