• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grass type plants for nano tank background

parotet

Hi all

I will be re-scaping my nano tank (Mini M knock off) in a few weeks. I want to use in both corners of the background a grass type plant. I have in my list Cyperus helferi, Vallisneria nana and Eleocharis sp. To be honest I prefer Cyperus and Vallisneria for having wider leaves. It will be combined with Bolbitis in the midground and I think it suits much better. I have never used Cyperus, so I am not sure if it grows too tall, if leaves are much too wide, etc. I will also appreciate your comments regarding the growth speed. Any experience?

Jordi

Thank you Tim. My sabulatas always stay low, maximum 10 cm... I want something like long leaves moving with the flow (or at least with that look :))
I don't remember Juncus repens in my LFSs, but I think Anubias has it in its catalogue. I will have a look.

Jordi

I think the C helferi will quickly outgrow this tank - unless you manage to get it into a state where it's happy enough to stay on & produce smaller/shorter leafs but not thriving well enough to outgrow the space ... a difficult balance as you may imagine ;)

I'd try V nana :)
you might mix in some E tenellus as it can grow quite tall in some instances - & remain green
Perhaps look at some of the tall, narrow leafed crypts (depending what species are available)

Would eleocharis vivipara be too tall?

Here you Cyperus H. used in a nano style scape, both oposite corners even growing partialy emersed. :)

My favorite scape ever.

Blyxa Japonica is a good grass plant for Nano tanks - for middle or back. It's one of my favourite grassy plants out there.

Back