• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrolysis Unit

Joecoral

Customer came in today asking for some advice, said he had a electric hydrolysis CO2 unit, something to do with a carbon plate which had to be replaced every 4 weeks.
I'd never heard of them, certainly was unable to advise on it.
Anyone got any experience of these, are they any good? I understand the basic principle of how it works, but was just wondering if someone can explain it to me, as I can't find much info on them from my Googling
Joe

Joecoral said:
Customer came in today asking for some advice, said he had a electric hydrolysis CO2 unit, something to do with a carbon plate which had to be replaced every 4 weeks.
I'd never heard of them, certainly was unable to advise on it.
Anyone got any experience of these, are they any good? I understand the basic principle of how it works, but was just wondering if someone can explain it to me, as I can't find much info on them from my Googling
Joe
All the people i have heard who use them say they dont work, just some info incase no one has heard of them:

Water is converted into hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis. The hydrogen rises up and the oxygen combines with the carbon in the carbon plate to form carbon dioxide,
The plates are quite dear to replace aswell, pressurized is a lot more cost effective option.

I had one of these units. You can get either a carbo-plus (try googling this) or one from LAC Ltd. They do not work at all. I used one for about 2 years and then last week got a drop checker. Colour stayed blue so i went and bought a bottled co2 system, installed it with a Denerlle glass diffuser and after an hour the drop checker went green. I have been running gas co2 for less than a week and I can already see the difference. My advice is keep well away from Hydrolysis units. I have noticed that some of these units are being discontinued, hmmm I wonder why?

Hope this Helps :D

Aquatics Online still sell replacement carbon blocks.

The effectiveness apparently depends on the carbonate hardness. From the Tropica website:
A few years back, Carbo Plus was marketed. Carbo Plus produces CO2 electrolytically from solid carbon and it works reasonably well in well buffered aquaria (8-12 dKH carbonate hardness).

Carbo plus is marketed by Zoo Zajac www.zajac.de in Germany, they advertise it a lot (there is at least a double page in their catalogue every year - there still is in the 2009 version!). It never tempted me, as pressurised injection seems so much more straightforward.

Henrik

Back