• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for TMC signature 60cm

MrMellow

Seedling
Hey,

I've just ordered a TMC signature 60cm to replace my current tank. I'm looking at ordering a lighting unit, but have no idea where to start. I won't be able to have the unit in suspension. LED or T5, I'm not too picky. I've only had experience with LED units such as the Arcadia Classica Stretch (8000K - 10,000K) and BeamsWork 6500K LED.

I was looking at giving T5's a try, particularly the All Pond Sollutions two tube T5 unit which will rest on the sides of the tank.

Any pointers/advice will be greatly appreciated.

They are good also. More powerful than the Aquabars.

Although the dimmer/controller is more expensive for these lights.

You will also need MMS rails.

Here is a shot of one of the Aquabars. You could use a similar set-up for the grobeams.

0e3a0eb8238205e4b5a704a913349651.jpg

Are controllers really necessary, though? Wouldn't a simple AC timer be sufficient? Also, wouldn't the RGB LED's in the 1500 Ultima be essential?

Don't get hung up on RGB. This is not a concern with any 'white' light.

A timer is almost an essential.

The problem is that with powerful lighting that cannot be dimmed you have to ensure all other aspects - ferts, CO2, flow etc are spot on or the tank will go downhill quickly.

If you reduce the lighting intensity then you give yourself more leeway with the other aspects.

I'm using the TMC AquaRay 1500 Ultima Tile and the 2 channel controller. You definitely want the controller so you can alter the intensity. It's also useful to be able to ramp up and ramp down the lighting so that it does not suddenly come on at full power and surprise the fish!

I also bought this:

http://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/aqu...mounting-hanging-suspension-system-600mm.html

So I can suspend the light without having to attach anything to the ceiling in rented accommodation. I find it useful to be able to adjust the height of the light, although not as important if you have the controller to alter the intensity.

My budget's fairly low unfortunately, so paying £130 for the light, £100 for the fixture and £75 for the controller is currently out of the question. I still need to get a co2 kit and fire extinguisher.

I was looking at MMS rails for the 600 Ultima, but the way it rests on the rim of the tank reduces overall water capacity. Maybe the GroBeams aren't for me...

Shop around, you can get the controller for about £55. You could always try starting out with a single 600 Grobeam and add a second at a later date if you feel you need more light? Forget the iquatics and just get the MMS rails and mountaray tank brackets.

I've just found a thread that confirms the GroBeam strips with the mountaray system won't fit the tank in question. It'll have to be a tile if I did want to stick with TMC's lights. I'm concerned with the tile as the tank is only 30cm deep, so that would mean the controller is a necessity. Currently looking at other mounting options for a single GroBeam strip.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/grobeam-600.26769/

How about the TMC rim mount, the ones Andy D is using by the looks of it?
http://charterhouse-aquatics.com/sh.../aquaray-mms/tmc-aquaray-mms-rim-mount-silver

You can also look to suspend the GroBeams instead of buying a controller. If the light is too intense, you suspend it higher.

Michel.

You can also look to suspend the GroBeams instead of buying a controller. If the light is too intense, you suspend it higher.

Michel.

I won't be able to suspend them unfortunately. The GroBeam 600's are currently discounted along with the controller on Complete Aquatics. I'll just order everything from there.

That rim mount looks like a budget friendly option to get you started. I would get the controller though to adjust intensity as you can't change height. You can always upgrade to something different as funds allow. Either that or wait a little longer, I spent about 6 months buying bits each month before I set up as I had a house move to contend with too.

Back