• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to catch a zebra loach

bern

Seedling
Hi all,

I need to remove a zebra loach from my 240L tank. Having a really hard time catching him, As soon as I get anywhere near him he just dives straight into the plants out of sight. I've tried netting, and making a bottle trap (which every other fish will get caught in except him!). It's driving me crazy now.

Any tips on how to catch fish that are very cautious/ aware of your attempts to get them?

It works for smaller fish so can't see why it wouldn't for bigger fish. Get a 5L water bottle or any bottle with a large opening. Cut the neck off it and push it back into bottle the opposite way around so you have a funnel. You can drill a couple of holes in in and put some cable or string through to help left the thing. Sink it into the tank with your fishes favourite food. Leave 5 minutes and you have yourself a bottle full of tank life.

EnderUK: Yes, this is the trick I've already tried... but the loach won't go near it! As for catching it after lights out... well not sure how I can do that because it disappears into the undergrowth to sleep. I really don't want to end up having to strip the tank down just to catch one fish.

Tricky little suckers...I've always found that most fish eventually succumb to dynamite. It's well documented as an effective and efficient way of fishing...albeit a little unsporting:D

Two nets is best...usually works, even with the most illusive/evasive piscine characters.

Thankfully I finally got him today, so I didn't have to resort to dynamite. I tried getting a bigger 5L bottle and tried trapping again. Caught 5 other fish, but still... he was in with them. Thanks guys.

We have to catch fish in a 520l tank and resort to a big net in the centre of the tank and chase the fish into it with smaller nets then dump the contents into a trug to sort through. Will give the bottle trap a go next time. Thanks fit the tip

Back