• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

thermometer contents

Steven c

I just found my thermometer smashed at the bottom of my empty tank with some other bits. It's quite a new one brought from pets@h it sticks to the front of the glass, my question is what is the little balls at the bottom made of as they are all over the tank and floor? I know they use to make them from Mercury I have small children so I have concerns

I think the OP makes reference to not the temp bit, but the weight(s) in the bottom of the floating types?

Mercury is liquid at room temp. I assume the balls are lead or steel.

Home beer brewers also conserned with this, seem those ball are steel.. So if at the bottom of the tank they could be picked up with a magnet. You probably could check a non broken floating thermometer with a magnet to see if it's steel balls.. :)
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=292495
As jagillham sais they are there as counterweight to make the thermometer float verticaly.. The temp indicator fluid is nowadays a safe hydrocarbon (oil) and alcohol fluid mixture.

yes they must be steel, as you said. I picked them up with a magnet. I didn't think it was mercury but just wanted to make sure.

balls of steel!

Back