• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bio load

a rix

Iam about to add my first fish stock of around 15/20 cardinal tetras. The tank is a rio 180 with a fulval 406 filter the tank has been running for two and a half months now .my question is whether adding this many fish in one go will cause to higher bio shock to the system.

Many thanks Anthony rix

It'd going to do something, but remember. A lot of it comes from feeding the fish.

Just keep an eye on ammonia levels and be ready to do a waterchange or two.

Hi all,
Iam about to add my first fish stock of around 15/20 cardinal tetras. The tank is a rio 180 with a fulval 406 filter the tank has been running for two and a half months now .my question is whether adding this many fish in one go will cause to higher bio shock to the system.
A picture would be worth a thousand words, but a few questions.

How heavily planted is the tank? Do you have any floating plants (with access to aerial CO2)? and which media do you have in the filter?

cheers Darrel

With that amount of water it shouldn't be an issue.Would suggest you add something like Seachem Stability to increase the helpful bacteria in the tank and reduce your chances of losing fish. Just keep an eye and if they appear to be breathing rapidly be ready with a good sized water change, although if you do this make sure the temperature of your water change is similar to your tank as a big difference can cause white spot.

Hi all, A picture would be worth a thousand words, but a few questions.

How heavily planted is the tank? Do you have any floating plants (with access to aerial CO2)? and which media do you have in the filter?

cheers Darrel

No floating plants the tank has the standard juwel lid iam injecting co2 via a inline defuser media wise just a bit of sera biofibers in the bottom and sera ceramic rings in the next basket
20160207_192059-1.jpg

Hi all,
No floating plants the tank has the standard juwel lid iam injecting co2 via a inline defuser media wise just a bit of sera biofibers in the bottom and sera ceramic rings in the next basket View attachment 81175
Should be fine, I'd dial the CO2 back a bit (I'm not a CO2 user), and possibly add a bit more surface ripple.

The advantage of floating plants is that they aren't CO2 limited, so if you have added ammonia they can respond with added growth.

cheers Darrel

With that amount of water it shouldn't be an issue.Would suggest you add something like Seachem Stability to increase the helpful bacteria in the tank and reduce your chances of losing fish. Just keep an eye and if they appear to be breathing rapidly be ready with a good sized water change, although if you do this make sure the temperature of your water change is similar to your tank as a big difference can cause white spot.

That's a great idea to use the seachem i wouldn't have thought of that, it should help no end

Hi all, Should be fine, I'd dial the CO2 back a bit (I'm not a CO2 user), and possibly add a bit more surface ripple.

The advantage of floating plants is that they aren't CO2 limited, so if you have added ammonia they can respond with added growth.

cheers Darrel

Had thought of turning the co2 off for maybe a day before and the slowly building back up

Had thought of turning the co2 off for maybe a day before and the slowly building back up

That's what I had to do when I used co2. I had too rescue a few fish who struggled with it even when I thought it was turned down low.

I have a 500l (established) tank and last time I added 40 cardinal tetra in one go with no noticeable water quality issues. I just fed the fish sparingly every other day for the first couple of weeks

Back